Can you cut and buff Acrylic Enamel?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm
I just finished my first paint job using acrylic enamel and I don't like the way it looks. I got some trash in it and some parts look like orange peel.

Can I cut and buff this and if so how long should I let the paint sit and cure? It's in a heated garage.
Most of the job I have been reading about are CC/BC and I see that is common there but I'm not sure about the enamel.

If I need a buffer what should I look for?

Can you give me a little advice?

Bryan
Bryansong
Independence, Mo.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:07 pm
It looks like you can, my paint looks Great!
Bryansong
Independence, Mo.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm
:flatten:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:32 am
I would like to see some input from the experienced ones as well. I am in the same position.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:54 am
You can do it on solid colors. Not recommended for metallics because it will mess up the flake.

You should probably look into a rotary buffer with variable speed settings. I use a Dewalf and Makita buffers and 3M compound system at work, but I just ordered a buffer from HF, $60 on sale for $30, plus a 20% off coupon. Most people on here use M105 and M205, I've used Pinnacle and currently use Menzerna products. I'm just a hobbyist though, so 3M was out of my price range.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:06 pm
Can you cut and buff acrylic enamel? As long as its solid color. Bryan had metallic and learned a good lesson through the forum. If ya painting metallic it better be base/clear. Cutting peel out of single stage mettalic is out. Anything will buff shiny if cut right but single stage metallic with peel don't cut and look right. Ya mess up the metallic. Enjoyed the steak dinner with you and the wife Bryan.
:happy:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 am
did you wetsand , or just cut/buff?

Settled In
Uzbekistan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:41 am
bryansong wrote:I just finished my first paint job using acrylic enamel and I don't like the way it looks. I got some trash in it and some parts look like orange peel.

Can I cut and buff this and if so how long should I let the paint sit and cure? It's in a heated garage.
Most of the job I have been reading about are CC/BC and I see that is common there but I'm not sure about the enamel.

If I need a buffer what should I look for?

Can you give me a little advice?

Bryan

hi!i am not good in english but you can use 2000 sandpaper to get rid of trash and orange peel.after you can buff it.your paint will be dry in 2-3 hours after painting and you can start to polish it

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail