Window on wetsanding and buffing

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:12 pm
I just painted my car using a bc/cc and I have slight orange peel and few sags. I am very pressed for time as I go back to school in 5 days. My question is, if I wait too long (say a few weeks to a couple months til I can get a break) will wetsanding and buffing be signifcantly harder or even possible? Will my paint job suffer if I wait?

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:49 pm
The job will probably be a bit harder (but still VERY possible) since the CC will have set and hardened a bit. The paint job should not suffer any. Just wet sand with 2000 if it's real smooth or step up to 2000 by using 1000 or 1500 to help cut it faster - then use 2000, the buff (get out the 2000 scratches) and polish (get out the buffing swirl marks).

I had ONE sag in my sail panel - only part I sagged :( I used 600 wet on a hard block (VERY CAREFULLY) to get the high parts of the sag out. As I got closer to the panel - and the rest of the non sag section - I stepped down to 1000/1500, still with the hard block - USE CAUTION. Then when it's almost flush, go to hand or soft block and 2000. You'll have to LOOK REAL HARD to notice it when you're done with the buff & polish stage.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:05 am
Thanks for the reply. Time is cutting very close, I don't think I could wetsand and buff in 4 days with everything else I have to get ready. Well..to put it better I don't want to learn to buff and buff my car out in a rush when I am all stressed out.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:27 am
I think you're doing the right thing. A panic rush job on a cut and buff just comes back to bite you in the butt. There's no doubt the clear will be harder to level later but it doesn't sound like your orange peel is that bad. In some ways letting the clear coat get harder makes it less likely that you'll blow through the clear when you do your cut and buff. Just some thoughts.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:29 pm
HOW LONG SHOULD U WAIT TO WET SAND AND BUFF

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:17 pm
This can be different depending on what company's clear you are using. The product sheet on your particular brand of clear should tell you. I usually like to wait 24 to 48 hours with most of the Omni and PPG clears. If my clear really comes out with little or no orange peel I might wait even a week or so as it reduces the chance of cutting through the clear since it is harder by then. Rubber Seal says that you can start to cut and buff in as little as 2 hours over their Speed Clear. Just check out those product sheets.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail