polishers?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:40 pm
I have two old grinder/polishers /2 speed.[sears+roebuck] the older i get the heavier they get. What is the little polisher i saw the other day.Had a smaller one than i have?? Fella at the body shop was polishing out b/c clear c.[/b[b] My polishers are 30 years old i think. but they still run and i keep fixin the cords on them.
what have you got for me on these ? : bob s

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm
bsa_bob wrote:I have two old grinder/polishers /2 speed.[sears+roebuck] the older i get the heavier they get. What is the little polisher i saw the other day.Had a smaller one than i have?? Fella at the body shop was polishing out b/c clear c.[/b[b] My polishers are 30 years old i think. but they still run and i keep fixin the cords on them.

welp, we weren't there, so we don't really know what was being used. you may want to go back and ask.

if they were small, they could have been da buffers like the porter cable 7424

what have at this time, and I cant believe its been working as good as it has for as long as it has( 5 years niow with many, many jobs on it) is a harbor freight vs buffer. idk if they still have the orange one, but it was a great $40 ish investment.
when it finaly decides to die, im gonna either get a dewalt or Makita vs buffer.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:35 pm
tomsteve wrote:
bsa_bob wrote:I have two old grinder/polishers /2 speed.[sears+roebuck] the older i get the heavier they get. What is the little polisher i saw the other day.Had a smaller one than i have?? Fella at the body shop was polishing out b/c clear c.[/b[b] My polishers are 30 years old i think. but they still run and i keep fixin the cords on them.

welp, we weren't there, so we don't really know what was being used. you may want to go back and ask.

if they were small, they could have been da buffers like the porter cable 7424

what have at this time, and I cant believe its been working as good as it has for as long as it has( 5 years niow with many, many jobs on it) is a harbor freight vs buffer. idk if they still have the orange one, but it was a great $40 ish investment.
when it finaly decides to die, im gonna either get a dewalt or Makita vs buffer.

I had considered the hf buffer. think i'll stop by and take another look at it thanks tomsteve? porter cable 7424/got it bob s

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 pm
D/A polishers are for applying wax.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm
timbo wrote:D/A polishers are for applying wax.

no, not really. I have gotten great results uding my pc7424 to polish out new paint jobs after color sanding and also for paint correction on factory paint.
they are used by many professional detailers,too.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 am
tomsteve wrote:

no, not really. I have gotten great results uding my pc7424 to polish out new paint jobs after color sanding and also for paint correction on factory paint.

i don't know what...the numbers all mean.But i think you are using a dual action sander.........to rub out b/c paint is this right? Ds is to small to rub out...or are you talking about the big" mud hog" type? with a softer backing plate

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 am

:shocked: I don't know about that, seemed to work OK for me.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm
bsa_bob wrote:
tomsteve wrote:

i don't know what...the numbers all mean.But i think you are using a dual action sander.........to rub out b/c paint is this right? Ds is to small to rub out...or are you talking about the big" mud hog" type? with a softer backing plate

heres what I have:
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

same one NOVA has a picture of. the great thing about em is it is next to impossible to ruin paint. it has a massive throw on it and I achieve great results with it. its what I started with to learn about paint correction and buffing out new paint. then I started using a rotary for the 1st pass and then onto the 7424.
when detailing, there are many times I will only use the 7424. no need to get more aggressive than needed.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 pm
I agree, the PC is amazing for polishing and light cutting depending on the pads and compound you use. I do wish I had a rotary to get out wetsand scratches faster though.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm
tomsteve wrote:

I go WAY back with the Porter Cable dual action, like 1989 and the Infiniti Q45's at the Nissan ports and that stupid flourinated clear.
The Harbor Frieght dual action they offer now is a better unit in my opinion, for the money. I still have a Porter Cable, a Bosch, and a Robi dual action, but find myself using the HF 90% of the time.
HF runs theirs's on sale all the time, from $50 to $70, compare that to the others prices.
For the occassional "rotary buffer" users, HF also has a decent rotary buffer with viable speed as well, and very light.
I have Milwaukee, Dewalt and a Black and Decker, and a HF rotarys, the Milwaukee is a beast but too heavy for normal use by a 69 year man.
I have had the HF rotary for 4 years and it gets more use than the others, never broke, checked the brushes the other day (they send an extra set with new buffers) and after probably 100 hours of use, still not needing replacement.
All that said, the HF foam pads are not good, and a waste of money, go with Buff and Shine for quality foam pads.
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail