Meguiar's Methods

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:26 pm
I was watching a Meguiar's video from 2009 showing their methods and products on wet sanding, machine polishing etc. They recommend laying the rotary buffer pad flat on the surface. I've seen several references elsewhere where the pad is slightly tilted.

Are there any pros or cons to either method?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:09 pm
Flat on the surface. Any tilting of the pad increases the chances of hologramming, micro-marring, and burning paint through edge buffing.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:15 pm
I just got back into buffing after having not done it for years (not that I was ever really any good at it to start out with) and I am battling w/ the same thing, holding the pad flat vs tilted. Whenever I have held a pad flat it seemed that it wanted to yank itself in random directions, so I'd wind up buffing w/ the pad tilted slightly, not a lot. From what I am reading and watching videos of, I should be holding it flat - the guys in the videos seem to have no problems working the product w/ the pad flat. I wish someone local who knows what they are doing could take a look at what I'm doing.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:15 pm
Often times when you are buffing with a heavy compound like M105 and a wool pad, the initial bite of the product and pad causes the buffer to want to walk on you. I use a technique of pushing on the side handle while pulling on the handle at the base/trigger to steady the buffer. Once the initial cut has diminished a but it will be easier to manage. You'll get a feel for it, just keep it flat!

Also make sure you are using the right amount of product. Too much or too little can make the buffer hard to handle. Lay down a line about 1 foot long on the panel and then "pull it in" to the pad by intercepting the line of product at the 10:30 position on the buffing pad.

Finally, keep the pad clean. Make sure you use a spur to clean the pad after each application. Build up of product also contributes to the walking problem.

Good luck!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 am
good advise for poilishing.
don't think id use a rotary for wet/color sanding,though. :)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 am
For me, it's really a question of time. I'd prefer to use a DA with microfiber pad and M101 to remove the wetsanding marks as it is a much more comfortable machine to use. However, the rotary cuts so much faster in just a few applications of product. If I have time constraints I'll hit it with the rotary first then move on to the DA for finessing.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail