Lately having problems buffing please help!

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 pm
A good hand glaze with a fresh microfiber cloth can do wonders after the stage 3.
I use Megs 80 speed glaze by hand. No machine. It has some cut to it but if used by hand it will clean up the surface really well. I also use a little alcohol and water 50/50 to clean the surface. It pulls the compound out of scratches you wouldnt normally see.

Other than that its all little things like machine speed, how long of a time period I spent in one area and angle of the machine. The more i focus on keeping it level and applying little pressure the better it comes out.
Travis
I-CAR certified
Lynch Body Shop and LDV

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm
blindboarder_02 wrote:A good hand glaze with a fresh microfiber cloth can do wonders after the stage 3.
I use Megs 80 speed glaze by hand. No machine. It has some cut to it but if used by hand it will clean up the surface really well. I also use a little alcohol and water 50/50 to clean the surface. It pulls the compound out of scratches you wouldnt normally see.

Other than that its all little things like machine speed, how long of a time period I spent in one area and angle of the machine. The more i focus on keeping it level and applying little pressure the better it comes out.

Thats awesome advice. I never thought to use alcohol for cleanup.

I have noticed that the eye is attracted to holograms that don't follow the lines of the car. I try to always buff with the pad flat, and polishing motions in the direction of front to back. Just from personal experience, too fast of speed along with vertical patterns on doors make it more obvious to see holograms. Take it slow (1200RPM?) with the polish and just make one pass down the panel, left to right, then the same coming back up the panel, and you should be hologram free.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:33 am
bbenson04 wrote:
mbfinatic wrote:
bbenson04 wrote:Are you talking micro marring(scratches) or holograms? If your talking scratches, then yeah you will need to use a Swirl Remover (or a 2nd stage in a 3 stage system) to remove them. You might have to use a wool pad and a cutting compound to distort the scratches first, then move on down the line of compounds.
If you are just talking about holograms, then just use a polish (3rd stage) and it should get rid of them.

I think its just Holograms. Only in the correct sun light can you see the bright swirl marks. So this week im going to finish using 3m rubbing compound on it and than use 3m polishing compound.

Super easy to fix. Get any good (name brand) Finishing Polish, if using 3M its the Blue compound, and a soft pad (black). Don't load on the polish or you'll splatter all over the place and its just a waste. You can probably get away with a 4" bead for a 18"x18" work area.

Ok going to give it a shot tomorrow! Thanks again!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am
I gave it another attempt. I did just one panel to see how it comes out. I did the bottom part of the trunk lid. I polished it at 1200rpm (nice and slow) and did it in 3 parts. It still has holograms but not as much. Do I keep putting polish on it or am I doing something wrong still? The polish was also becoming a pain to wipe excess. I used a little amount. Should I try less compound?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:12 am
Do your final polishing with a soft foam pad on a dual action buffer. Low speed and don't create heat on the panel.
The rotary runs at too high of speed and "slaps" the finish, which creates the swirls.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 pm
black paint has to be perfect to shine right , you cant just compound it , you have to go back over with glaze of some sort then maybe I finer glaze if u want dat good shine.... caking is too much product and too much pressure... back off on the compound and don't push on the panel very much kinda let it float. then before you start glazing get the panel completely clean and start the process over! ive done tons of black stuff and honestly I treat everything the same as black because that what it should be treated as.. just check out my instagram @fearlesspaintninja7

Settled In
Uzbekistan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:14 pm
[b]Well! AT FIRST after washing a car(black car)you need to dry it.Scratches can be removed with 2000 or 2500 sandpaper .When the surfase is matt(no gloss at all)dry it again and use 3m(74)-fast cut compound(That paste remove sandpaper scratches) with white pad with no water.Do not hurry!At the begining 1000 speed and then speed up slowly.then take 3m(75 for gloss)do the same operation using orange pad and some drops of water .If All operations will be made OK,you will have only hollograms(like a rainbow).Get rid of it you should yse 3m(76 compound)with black pad and no water.Thats it![/b] :goodjob:
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail