cleaning buffing compound

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:36 pm
Hello folks, a little background I had my car painted by a local shop which turned out absolutely awful. The entire hood was covered in solvent pops & fisheyes, the front bumper was one giant orange peel, and the rest of the body had sanding scratches all over. Needless to say I spent approx. 80hrs or more wetsanding and buffing all these defects out. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out my problem now is attempting to get all of the compounds used out of body lines, between rubber pieces etc. Is there anywhere that sells a tool kit specifically for this or what do you reccomend using. Some of the compound is only a few weeks old but some is dried as its been on there for a few months suggestions?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:45 pm
That stuff ought to be water soluble - a good strong garden hose or (very carefully used!) pressure washer won't do it for you?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:11 pm
chris wrote:That stuff ought to be water soluble - a good strong garden hose or (very carefully used!) pressure washer won't do it for you?

I'm not too sure Chris I haven't really attempted anything yet i used the presta buffing compound, polishing compund then swirl remover. I'm going to try and tackle it tomorrow I would be afraid to use my pressure washer on it. It may come off with water but what do you recommend using to get deep inside the crevices maybe a toothbrush? Also do you know of any solutions anyone sells to restore trim pieces color likr rubber around windows and plastic pieces around the windshield etc?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:15 pm
I've used Mother's back to black...it's a temporary improvement, but comes out pretty good.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:03 am
A sponge, warm soapy water and then a toothbrush where it's in the cracks. On plastic/rubber scrub well and then we use either a black polish or AutoGlym Bumper & Trim Gel, or both. Sometimes takes two or three goes to get it all. Next time you'll remember to mask it up, won't you? :happy:
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am
NFT5 wrote:A sponge, warm soapy water and then a toothbrush where it's in the cracks. On plastic/rubber scrub well and then we use either a black polish or AutoGlym Bumper & Trim Gel, or both. Sometimes takes two or three goes to get it all. Next time you'll remember to mask it up, won't you? :happy:

I'll give one of these options a shot, if only I had painted it it would have been masked correctly :knockout:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 pm
,,use a mild solvent like Prep-Sol or a slow enamel reducer. Some compounds are VERY hard to get off.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm
rubbing alcohol and a soft cotton rag

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail