Can I wet sand and buff JUST clear coat runs??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 pm
So I redid my clear after a horrible clear job. It turned out MUCH better but I have three runs I would like to fix. I don't want to wet sand and buff the whole car. So if I don't is the car going to look weird with these few spots that are sanded and buffed? Any suggestions on blending these runs?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm
Sealevel wrote:So if I don't is the car going to look weird with these few spots that are sanded and buffed?

Why? If done properly the run will be gone and the clear will be shiny, just like the rest. Same goes for dust nibs. If the quality off the gun is good enough then you only need to work on the problems. A full wetsanding will, undoubtedly, improve the overall finish by flattening it out, but, if you're not worried about that then don't worry.

Most high volume panel shops don't wetsand and buff the whole job - that is more the domain of custom or high quality shops or used as a means of rectifying the errors made by less experienced painters.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 pm
The topic of wet sanding or not wet sanding complete surface area all depends. Depends on weather or not your environment created the dust particles in your paint or its just simple Painters errors. Some people prefer a slick clear coat and some don't mind orange peel. In fact a lot of OEM paint jobs have a percentage of orange peel texture done on purpose.

Runs can be corrected if its your mission to flatten them out work on those spots. If the rest of the paint job is clean then roll. If not get the sanding!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 pm
You're going to notice it but would a unknowing person notice it? Probably not. Unless he's a car enthusiast. Anyways the best way to blend it would be to increase your area you sand as you go up in finer sand papers . For instance lets say your sanded run had a 1" of 1000 grit scratches. Your 1200 grit should be 3"s bigger over your 1000grit scratches, Your 1500 5" etc etc this will help you blend out your flat spot from sanding your run.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:20 am
Its a lot faster to scrape the run down with a razor blade if your comfortable with it. If the car is fairly slick you won't notice it but if it has a peel to it your going to notice it.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:18 am
there is a good trick with getting runs out, even a youtube clip,
you mix up some fine polyester filler and smear it over and around the run, let it harden and then block it out starting with 800wet, then when its nearly all gone, switch to 1200, then 1500 and finish off with some 2000
the filler will allow you to not take off paint around the run, just the run itself
krem

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail