flowcoat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:44 pm
Hey guys. This is my first post in the colorsanding forum!
If i do a flow coat, is it still just as critical to colorsand and polish afterwards? And Oh, i read in the HOK tech sheet that i need to let the clear dry overnight and then wet sand with 500 grit, then spray on 2 more coats. I thought that this was a little to coarse. Any thoughts?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:33 pm
500 grit wet huh? Sounds too course to me for sure. If I'm wet sanding before clear, I don't go any courser than 1000 grit wet. I hear a lot of people go 800 wet, but I don't agree.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:20 am
A flow coat does not absolutely have to be color sanded but in my opinion you are making the clear surface harder and increasing gloss and reflectivity by doing the process. It also encourages proper final curing of the entire paint film package. As for for doing the 500 after clear it's really no probelm as long as you are putting on fairly high solids material in those last 2 coats you are going to add. If they are simply thin flow coats you might have trouble covering that level of scratches.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:52 am
the tech sheets say to reduce it 5% more the first flow coat and 10% more the second. I am worried that 500 is to coarse, but i do want to follow what they say. I am going to use the UPC-35 clear.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:08 pm
Maybe do a few test panels first? Whenever I have any worries about what "might happen" I shoot a few panels and check it first.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail