can I use the cheaper ULTIMATE line of meguiars (aus)

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 am
I know that people suggest the ULTRA 105 and 205 series meguiars for compounding/final polish but you can only get them in 1L containers here in aus, they're hideously expensive unless I order them from the UK (get 1x 200ml bottle of 105 and 1x 200ml bottle of 204 for $45)

I was wondering if anyone has used this series instead - its the ultimate series....

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car ... -compound/

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car ... te-polish/

At this stage I'm just hand buffing (I do have an electric buffer but it needs some bits fixed on it first!) some small things I painted with old school acrylic laquer out of a spray can, the paint came out pretty good, more experimenting in preparation for painting some scooters and motorbikes with laquer....

I actually wet sanded a piece I sprayed with rattle cans with 1500, then hand rubbed it with some septone mr buff cutting compound (cheap staged compound) then rubbed it with some mothers fine cut (stage 1 stuff) I had lying around and the results were pretty awesome I had a great reflection and it wasn't even a polish, so this has egged me on to buy a decent line of stuff...

so based on this early trial I figured I should upgrade... the mothers stuff I have linked is $30 a bottle or 450ml...

anyone in aus used it ?? or what do other ppl in aus use...

I was thinking I could try just using the septone mr buff compound, then buy the meguiars ultimate polish and see if that iw q nice final stge, if not I'll get the meguiars ultimate cut and use that as the middle step in a 3 stage process...

?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:08 am
The most commonly used compound here is Farecla G3. It does leave a bit of residue though. The Meguiars stuff isn't all that good and is hellishly expensive.

For a really good compound get in touch with your local AutoSmart distributor. They have a product called Sophisticut which I use all the time. Fast initial cut but breaks down well and if you keep working it will actually bring up a nice shine with almost no residue. Perfect for use after wetsanding. I hope my memory serves correctly but I seem to recall about $70 for 4 litres.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm
farecla's ultra/advanced compound is now self lubing so its a hell of alot less messy than the old g3/10 waterbased stuff. no fling off and it cuts seriously fast.

in all fairness to the megs i use it by the bucket load, i prefer it to the farecla by a mile, 101/105 or 110 for me (all cut about the same rate and again are very non messy) not sure if you can get the G-technique P1 nano polish, thats ruddy good and probably the fastest safest cutting polish i have ever used (and for a wool pad system the panels stay so much cooler) its ruddy pricey mind!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 am
I tried the ppg one compound a few yrs ago, you use different pads but the same compound for each step, think it was around $60 a bottle but lasted ages and was pretty good, im actually using a septone compound at the moment, it seems ok, but I will go back to 3m stuff when I need to buy more,
I only try new stuff if the tradie at the local paint shop tells me its good, but I like the 3m best from wat I have tried so far!!
krem

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail