Meguires 105 vs 85

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 pm
I am currently buffing out a lovely gloss black paint job... PITA! My paint guru (my shop's old timer) offered me some of his Meguires products to try, as he swears by the stuff. He cuts the 1500grit scratches with Meguires 85 on a wool pad. I gave it a go, and it definitely required some serious elbow grease. Even the 2000 scratches were not comming out as easily as I had hoped.

I have read a lot on the forums that Meguires 105 is the cat's pajamas as far as cutting compounds is concerned, so I ordered a sample to try. I was just wondering if anyone has compared these two products. As I understand it, the 105 seems to have replaced 85 as Meguires heavy cutting compound of choice.

Can anyone tell me if they are all that different in application, speed, ease of use?

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:35 am
Hello,

I am a detailler so I have never used Meguiar's 85.

What I do believe though is that 85 is a Rotary Buffer compound only product where 105 can be used both with a rotary and a Dual Action polisher. Since dual action polishers are what detaillers use, that's probably why you hear about it more often.

105 is a great product but can be a little difficult to use with a DA. As far as I know, it's very easy to use with a rotary.

Your best bet to find the info you are looking for is to go on Meguiar's forum and ask there. I am sure someone at Meguiar's will be happy to give you the technical différences between the two products as well as info on how they differ in usage.

Pretty much all Meguiar's polishes and compounds are great so I am sure you will get good result with either. 105 might finish better than 85 though. You will still need to follow up with a polish afterwards to give it a good definition of image. I suggest you use M205 with a foam polishing pad after you are done with the compounding.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:07 am
did you clear coat ?, cause some of the clears if not sanded and polished in a certain time , they will get harder than woodpecker lips and even fine scratches are hard to remove

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:41 pm
Got busy with the Megs 105 last night. It works really well! I did leave the clear for a week before buffing, as I am doing the Jeep in stages. That decision required some extra elbow grease, but it's looking great.

I can definitely say that the Norton Black Ice sanding discs are worth their weight in gold! 1500grit and 3000grit make the buffing go so much easier.

Anyone else have any tips or tricks with the 105? Are you guys using much water to extend the working time, or does that degrade the abrasive too quickly?

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail