orange peel bad

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:38 am
Do I sand back to base coat and redo base did clear coat with the same settings as base coat!!!!!
I think that's where I went wrong. I assumed the setting would be ok but I was wrong.

Using Nason black base 3:1 and Wanda 8100 clear coat 4:1

Never used b/c and c/c before I had done lacquer and acrylic about 30 years ago

I did not do whole car just ground effects, rear spoiler and front bumper cover on 2000 Mustang.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:04 am
How many coats of clear did you spray?
If the base coat laid down fine then the orange peel is in your clear coat layer and if you put enough on there can be cut and buffed.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 am
I put 3 coats

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:35 pm
I would wet sand using a hard block and 600 grit just to remove the orange peel.
Use a spray bottle with clean water in it and a rubber squeegee to check your progress. You can also wipe the area with W&G remover and look across it before it evaporates.
Think of orange peel as little pimples on a flat surface and you are just trying to remove the pimples and level everything out. Be careful near edges and body lines as the clear is usually much thinner in those places and you could sand through the clear - which you do not want to do.
Wipe the car down with W&G remover and mix up enough clear for another coat. Use a slow activator and reducer so it will flow out longer and then shoot a wet coat. You want at least a 50% overlap while spraying.
Make sure you have your gun set properly for shooting clear. Generally you will up the pressure a few pounds.
List your gun and tip size and I am sure someone can help with the settings.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail