Could not buff to shine after wet sanding.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:35 pm
So I guess I fail at buffing. I sprayed my clear yesterday and let it sit overnight for about 12 hours or so. It was my first time shooting a bumper so I ended up with a bit of orange peel...so in I went with wet sanding 1500 and then 2000. I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish on a Dynabrade orbital. I could not for the life of me get it to shine...I could only get it matte with slight reflection.

I gave up and just scuffed with 600 grit and resprayed clear.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm
your gonna need a rotary buffer not an orbital ta get the gloss back...save the orbital for the final polish hope this helps
if its blended its splendid

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 pm
bondo merchant wrote:your gonna need a rotary buffer not an orbital ta get the gloss back...save the orbital for the final polish hope this helps

Lol...I should've known. Looks like I'm heading out to buy a rotary buffer now. Any opinions on pads for it then? Should I cut with wool and finish with foam pad?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:54 am
12 hours overnight might not be enough cure time. No bake, no sunlight...could still be soft. Try the rotary like Jack says but you also might want to get it out in the sun for a day. I have an orbital dynabrade head on my cheap rotary buffer, seems to work well.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 am
chris wrote:12 hours overnight might not be enough cure time. No bake, no sunlight...could still be soft. Try the rotary like Jack says but you also might want to get it out in the sun for a day. I have an orbital dynabrade head on my cheap rotary buffer, seems to work well.

I sprayed it in the patio and it was sitting out there the whole time in 85-90 degree temps but in the shade. I'm using ********** Euro clear with slow activator.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail