Cut & buff from start to finish - show me what to buy

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 pm
Hey guys, I just finished painting my 5th full car on the side, and as usual the finish is decent, but needs a good cut & buff to look professional. In the past, I had a "guy" who I used to pay to do all the compounding work after I wet sanded ( he had all his own equipment ). Well I've lost touch with him, and am now on my own to get this done. Plus I want to learn anyways so here I am! What do i buy? I have seen it done many many times, and am willing to accept the risks in learning involved.

I'll be sanding with 1000 paper to get the surface flat, then 1200-1500-2000. This I have done before, I am familiar with where and how to wetsand. After this though, I need help picking equipment and compounds.

So I need a rotary buffer. Which one?

I need pads. Wool pad for the compound I know... then what?

I need at least 2 compounds or at least 1 compound then a polish?. A good cutting compound to get the sanding marks out, then a lighter compound to get the swirls out right?

I hope I am on the right track with this... but I need help selecting what exactly to buy.

Thanks in advance!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 pm
You can get more opinions than carter has liver pills on this topic (and search here will show you many, many threads...)

Here is my process. The buffer is a cheap right-angle rotary with a Dynabrade random/orbital head added.

1. Wetsand with 1500 grit - knock the clear down flat and consistently dull across the entire painted area
2. Presta black wool pad and either Wizards turbo cut or 3M perfect-it compound
3. Presta yellow wool pad and either Wizards finish cut or 3M perfect-it polish
4. 3M waffle foam or Presta green wool pad with Wizards finish cut or 3M perfect-it polish

Sometimes I go from step 2 to 4 if it is looking real good after step 2. The black car parts from this post was done that way. Supersize that photo by clicking on it - you can even see the texture of that spark plug box reflected in the clear coat. Zero swirl marks and nearly flawless DOI.

All that other sanding through various grits...not needed unless you are looking for the extra cardio workout...

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail