Dust in clear coat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am
I recently finished doing some rust repair on my car's trunk lid. The paint is a blue metallic (strato blue mica). The paint color matched the rest of the panel real good, so I'm happy from that perspective. However, since I do not have access to a paint booth / paint gun, I did it with spraymax 2k clear coat which I read had really good reviews (once it's wet sanded and buffed obviously).

Anyway, I scuffed the whole panel with 1000 grit wet and re-cleared it (4 coats medium wet). While spraying, I started noticing some tiny white dots, but I thought I'd be able to sand them out once dry. Clearly, I was wrong. I do not even know what they are (dust ? dirt ? metal specks ?). I tried sanding with 1000 grit (light pressure), 1500, 2000 and they just would not go.

I cannot feel them with my nails and after I sanded the panel it's glass smooth. The only thing bothering me is these white dots ! What is the solution here ? Should I go down to 600 grit ? The "non-repair" area already had clear on it and was scuffed, so I assume the clear on there is pretty **** thick. Here's a picture of a close-up. Any help would be appreciated.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:30 am
Update : I'm down to 400 grit and am still having trouble removing them... I even burned through the clear in some spots...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 pm
Did the dots appear on the first coat or later coats?
How much time did you allow it to flash between coats?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail