what do you think of my technique??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm
Im a small time guitar builder..i only spray 2k stuff ....i use a all in one sprayer hvlp kit...my clear pretty much always lays flat...occasional run here & there if i rush things which i try not to do...ive been doing this now for 2 years...
i start with 1500 & a sanding block with a 3m pad inbetween...then i go 3000 & 5000
i buff with a 3M 5760 Perfect-It Ultrafine Foam Polishing Pad on my drill with 3-M 36066 Perfect-It™ Finishing Material

Thing is this...
although the final product comes out great I sometimes see some scratches in certain light from the 1500 paper...
anything i can do to prevent this?
i use microfiber cloths to wipe away...

also, i sometimes i read in some other forums of people starting at 800 grit & even lower...how the hell do they not go thru to primer...this always happens to me if i try to sand down a run after i scrape it...

thanks!
-mark

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:57 pm
1500 to 3000 is too much of a leap. I'd probably either skip the 1500 altogether or do 2000 then buff it. For guitars I'd be using the slowest activator in the clear possible and also think about investing in a pedestal mounted buffer...not too much money and would be much more efficient for buffing out a guitar body than one of those drill units (which will *never* provide enough speed)...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 am
Funkymann1 how bad is the orange peel? any?
I just did my car and a 2K wet sand took all the imperfections away with very weak pressure against the CC. I'm guessing its a soft clear though. but from what I've read the is no need to go down to 1000 or closer unless you are rectifying defects.
I'll include a link to my polishing project once I get it started so you can have a peek and compare notes if you will.
:goodjob:

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 am
for lighter colors, try scuffing it up with a grey scotch bright pad, then get some powdered guide coat, rub it all over the part and then sand till its all gone, then guide coat again, rubbing it right into the scratches and move up to the next grit, repeat till your at the point where you wanna buff, it will help you see the scratches and take the guess work out of how much material your sanding off!!
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 pm
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23463

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail