Should I cut/polish?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:09 am
I finished my first complete paint job on Sunday. It was on my bike plastics in my home paint booth. It didn't turn out perfect. It turned out okay. I had to redo a couple things. I had a couple runs in the clear that I fixed.

Now, I'm just debating on whether I should do any color sanding and buffing. Yes there are some imperfections. Yes there is orange peel. However, honestly to me it doesn't look that bad as it is. I'm also a little concerned about burning through something and having to go buy more material and do it over again. I am wondering if maybe I should just buff it with some compound to make it shine a little more.

What do you guys think?

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:08 am
how many coats of clear did you put on, it wouldn't hurt to take it down some with some 2000wet and then buff it, depends on the look your after, it looks pretty good in the pics tho, great job
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:37 pm
it looks good.
I don't know if this is the look you are after but this is what a 2K wet sand and polish did for my car. scroll down a bit to see end result.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23463

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm
I put 2 coats of clear coat on it. Not sure how heavy they were honestly as I only had one small run. I think I may use some 2000 and wet sand lightly. I used 1500 on the run I had, and it cut it down pretty fast. I buffed that one area and it looks fine, but I'm a bit nervous about doing it too much. Lots of curves and edges. I'd seriously hate to cut through somewhere.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 pm
Two coats is not much clear when it comes to sanding and buffing.
If it looks good that way it is then leave it.
Cut and buff when done right will add depth and luster to the paint job. With some colors, especially darker shades, this is more critical than others. If you look at most factory paint jobs you will see orange peel.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 pm
Yes

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:08 pm
I did some light wet sanding with 2000 grit, followed by some compound on my polisher and then some wax. Honestly, I can tell in the areas where I really cut through all the orange peel that it makes a difference, but not much. I wasn't terribly comfortable sanding, so I pretty much just knocked everything down a bit, didn't get it all the way to being hazy before I hit it with compound. It looks fine. I did find a couple more small runs that I worked on. I also found a fairly large section on the tail where I just didn't get enough paint, so that will likely be getting some sort of sticker put on it, because I'd like to swap my tail section soon anyway.

Overall, I am content. Not super satisfied, but content. It is going to look better than it did when it was busted and yellow.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail