need help. What to do after clear is sprayed?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:43 pm
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me the steps and what to use to sand and buff my new paint with new clear? I tried to google this but having a hard time. I am using PPG metallic blue paint and ********** universal clear. I applied 3 coats of clear about 3 hours ago. What are the detailed steps in the next process?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 pm
Depends on how the clear you sprayed looks.
If it went down nice with little or no orange peel you could just leave it.
If there is too much orange peel then you will need to Cut and Buff.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 pm
I need to cut also fix a small run in the clear. What is the procedure? What grit should I start and finish up with with and wet or dry? Also what is the procedure for the buffing?
Thank you

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:02 am
Hey, If you still need help. I am new also but you can start around 1200-1500 wet (depending) on how bad the orange peel and runs are. Finish with 2000 or 3000 if you have the time and energy. Purchase a system that includes all pads and compounds/polishes from 3M or Meguiers, etc., follow instructions and good luck. Cant believe someone with more experience hasn't tried to help you.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:57 am
I think the questions are a little intimidating. It takes a lot of time to answer a question like "what's the procedure for buffing" when the topic has been discussed many times here. Here's an example that search turned up:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18078

Fixing runs in clear:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19233

When using the search (really, advanced search is the way to go) it is good to use the option of "search within the first post of the topic" -- that way when someone puts a topic title of "HELP!!" but the first post of the topic really states what they are asking, then the search function will find it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm
Excellent point about the search. I have only been coming here for a few months and did not mean any disrespect to those who have been coming here for years--not to mention I am not a pro and should not be giving any one advice on painting (except maybe my friends). He just seemed like he was in a predicament--but really no one should shoot any paint without first studying the basics and making a plan on what to do when things go wrong.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail