What Kind of Pads?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:15 pm
A little confused on what type of pads to use to cut and buff. First of all, I have always been told to use lamb's wool to cut but now when I am getting ready to do it for the first time, most of my favorite brands have ready made kits with foam pads only. Whats your opinion on wool vs. foam for cutting? AND Regular foam vs. Waffle Pads for everything else? Thanks!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:22 am
You'll get more opinions than carter has liver pills...but I use presta wool pads for fast cut then medium cut (black pad then yellow or green pad). Then I finish with a polish and 3m foam waffle pad. It works for me.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:05 am
To answer your question, most foam will not cut as well as a fiber pad, whether it be wool, microfiber, or Surbuff microfinger fibers. Fibers usually cut flatter as well due to there being less give once the fibers are laid down. Foam has a lot of give/compression, and will conform to texture more easily than fibers like wool. The new open cell foam pads can cut comparable to wool fiber pads but may not flatten as well due to the foam contouring to the texture, like previously stated. The best thing you can due is test out the pads you plan to use before attempting the whole cut and buff job. Tape lines and test spots with good lighting, and a good knowledge and experience with the tool(s) you will be using will help you decide.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail