minor imperfections in clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:35 am
In between coats of clear this morning, I've been reading about cut & buff. Lots of good info.

However, my question is simple. Can I cut and buff just a small area or is it better to do the entire truck?

I've already noticed some dirt or dust in the clear on the roof, but only in a couple of spots. No one will ever see them, but just knowing they're up there bugs me.

You can see in this picture a speck in the paint, lower right near the light reflection. Could I just do maybe a 2" radius around this speck, or is it going to be like Well, damned, this is so flat and shiny, now I have to do the rest of the roof. Crap, now the back of the cab doesn't match the roof. Gotta do that now. Oh great, now the doors need it.......

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:22 pm
Right, you will notice it if you just do one spot. Especially if there is some level of orange peel in the surrounding area...

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm
chris wrote:Right, you will notice it if you just do one spot. Especially if there is some level of orange peel in the surrounding area...

I have to keep telling myself, it's just a work truck. It's just a work truck...

I'm attributing the orange peel on the roof to the ladder. Some areas are slick as glass, while others have orange peel. I had to move the ladder twice per side, given that I'm only 5' 8" and apparently have short arms.

I think the hood and sides will look a lot better. I don't really mind the level of orange peel you see on factory paint jobs (and I never even noticed before this forum). Hopefully it'll be like that.

Missing Tile Syndrome: You walk into the Sistine and look up at Michelangelo's painting, but you fixate on the missing tile. Not saying my work is all that good, but you know what I mean. :talkhand:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 pm
Denibbing. Just removing the dust nibs without going so far as to change the surrounding paint. It's done every day in production shops.

There are various proprietary tools and techniques but a little P1500 or P2000 wet working just on the spot followed by a light hit with the buff will get them out. I just use the edge of a small, hard block. If you're really concerned about scratching extending too far then you could mask off right up close to the nib. A little practice and you'll be able to restrict the scratched area down to 5-8mm in diameter.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27 pm
NFT5 wrote:Denibbing. Just removing the dust nibs without going so far as to change the surrounding paint. It's done every day in production shops.

There are various proprietary tools and techniques but a little P1500 or P2000 wet working just on the spot followed by a light hit with the buff will get them out. I just use the edge of a small, hard block. If you're really concerned about scratching extending too far then you could mask off right up close to the nib. A little practice and you'll be able to restrict the scratched area down to 5-8mm in diameter.

So maybe a strip of 1.5" masking tape with a hole punched in it? Sounds promising. Thanks.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:49 pm
Cut n buff the whole thing nate, you've gone this far... what's another day or two? JMO

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Cut n buff the whole thing nate, you've gone this far... what's another day or two? JMO

Goddangit! My body says no, but my minds says yes. Or is it, my minds says no, but my heart says yes.

You're right. What's another weekend after all this hard work?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm
If you start the cut and buff process it will look so much better than the rest of the truck that you will do the entire thing. But if you burn through trying to hurry - then you will be reading up on how to blend paint. :bighug:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:If you start the cut and buff process it will look so much better than the rest of the truck that you will do the entire thing. But if you burn through trying to hurry - then you will be reading up on how to blend paint. :bighug:

Ugh!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail