speed of orbi sander??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 am
hi all, this has probably been covered somewhere else, i did do a search but the enigine must be havin a spazz!!
i have tried to dy sand with my orbi sander prior to buffing before and have had mixed results, mainly with 1500 film discs getting pig tail marks and the discs clogging up real quickly.
i had my orbie set on the fine setting and a slow speed, i have even tried using water but still seemed to get marks, i was told by a mate to crank the speed up on the orbie but im worried to marks will get worse,
i can use the foam discs easily with out any probs, it just seems to be the film discs, i have watched youtube and they seem to have no worries.
any help is much appreciated
oh, the grit im having issues with is 1500 and the film discs are a good brand (sunmight) 6
", i use an interpad and the holes are lined up with the extraction holes, i also use a extraction unit
krem

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:05 am
I don't have much experience dry sanding clear coat, I probably tried it in the past and had the same issue you are having. What speed are you running the sander right now? I could see where increasing the speed a bit may help; have you tried it yet?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:29 am
Hey Krem,
I am not familiar with the brand you are using but, from my experience some disc are designed more for dry sanding than others. Extraction could as some sanding material rely on the spent sanding by-product to enhance the dry sanding action. You really just need to check with the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific disc you are using, and which they recommend for dry and or wet sanding. Some sanding disc/pads are designed to be used with small orbits and some are designed for larger orbits. In most cases the larger orbit will allow the spent paint/sanding particles to get thrown away from the area you are working and reduce pigtails and clogging. You may want to experiment with different speeds to see which produces better results. With a DA usually as long as you are getting rotation, not just orbit(vibration), the pad/disc should be working properly. If you are getting pigtails/clogging then use air to blow out the material, and bump the speed up on the DA and see what results you get. Also, when disc/pads are new you can get pigtails from the abrasive material breaking in and piece coming off and getting trapped. So you just need to learn the nature of the material you are using. If you can get good results with the 1500 you have by damp sanding then I would just stick to that. Damp sanding may be the recommended method with the brand you are using. Your mate be correct in recommending a faster speed but, I wouldn't go maxed out right away. Also, your arm speed shouldn't be too slow nor too fast. You want to move fast enough so that the spent material gets thrown from underneath the disc/pad but, slow enough to actually remove material/paint uniformly. Have you tested the sanding disc by hand to see how it reacts? May just need to play around with it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 am
Krem, we used to have a problem with pigtails using the Sunmight disks with holes. Changed to the ones without holes and the problem disappeared. It was the hooks poking out through the edges of the holes that were causing the issue, exacerbated by the holes in the Sunmight diskc being just a tiny bit big.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 am
thanks for the info guys, I had the machine on 2 setting for speed, so not very fast, it was prob just spinning in one action and not both, I have a test panel from setting my new gun up so might crank the speed up and have a go,
I thought of the pad spikes poking thru the holes a little and mentioned it to the guy at the paint shop and he said he hadn't really given it much thought!!
I bought a box of the discs at a good price as the shop stuffed their order up and got too many in so sorta feel I need to use them!!
I will also add, just remembered the job I had the most probs with was only painted the day before as it was my uncles bonnet and he rushed me to get it done, the paint was prob a bit soft still :whoops: so that was prob the main problem!!
krem

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm
Well they make different DA for different jobs 3/16 off set and a 3/32 off set I forget which one is made for fine sanding but you can google that. That being said I've used both for color sanding and is there any reason you are stopping at 1500 grit ? Work your way up to finer sand paper 1500 then 2000 over the 1500 and 2500 over the 2000.. You'll get the rough "rough pig tails out" and make buffing 773983837 times easier faster and efficient.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:18 am
I keep going till 3000 foam pads, the pigtails I get are pretty vicious, I doubt they would come out with finer grits,
my orbi has a coarse setting and a super fine setting for both normal use and finishinh use, I always use the finer setting unless im removing paint!!
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:54 pm
Something else you can try with paint that is fresh is to do a quick sand, with 1500 or 2000 wet first. You don't have to get real crazy with it just knock the top off. Or you can also wipe the panel down with a good waterborne wax and grease remover before you sand on it.

Chuck

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail