color snading and orange peel question

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 am
Ok I had to paint my car 3 times had a bird getting into shop after dark and spending night in my shop. Little bugger through trash in clear each time when I figured out how trash was getting in I truned stereo on last time and bird stayed out. My question is if I had orange peal in 2nd paint job and did not sand orange peel out before the 3rd and final attempt to paint this car will that orange peel show in my final job after I color sand.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 am
No, it won't, provided that you put on enough clear the third time to be able to reduce the highs to the level of the lows without going through. Your biggest concern now is that you have a film thickness which is at the high limit and may chip very easily.
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm
If the paint you are spraying has a metallic in it you will notice the effect of the orange peel.
Although you may be able to sand the clear on the next paint job down flat, the metallic will lay down in the rolls and valleys of the orange peel of the previous paint job and reflect the light differently.

I recommend you take the time to wet sand the paint with 600 grit, wash it off really good with water so you remove all the white residue from sanding the clear, spot spray and blend the color where the bird messed you up then re-clear the whole car. I usually over reduce the clear on something like this so it has smaller or minimal orange peel ,you'll get more dust visible but I find its easier to sand the little dust particles out rather than the tons of orange peel. You already have your clear built up from the previous coats so 2 thin coats will finish it off nicely
Just be careful spraying the thinner clear, it will run easier

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail