Sanding & Buffing

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:13 pm
I just painted my motorcycle with Omni SS. I got a Run in the gastank
I sanded it down with 1000 then 1500. Then I buffed it with 3M super duty compound then Perfect 2 then hand glaze.
Why don't I get real nice shine ? Before I did all that it was real shiney.
Tom

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:36 pm
What kind of machine are you buffing with and what kind of pad are you using (wool or foam)??? One thing that might be your problem is skipping from the 3M super duty compound without using a finer compound (If I remember right the super duty is about like using 800 grit sandpaper and the next finer compound is like a 1500 grit equivelant) next instead of the Perfect-it 2. I think you may have made a step backward by using the super duty compound after the 1500 grit paper.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:31 pm
I tried that. Before I sand or buff the fresh paint, it looks like there is a clear coat on it.As soon as I try to do anything to it, there goes the shine.
I'm using a wool pad. I tried 1000 then 1500 then perfect 2 then hand glaze. what step am I missing ?
Tom

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:52 pm
Are you using the wool pad for all 3 compounds/glazes?

If yes, I think that might be your problem also I believe the wool pads are recommended only for compounds moving onto the foam pad for each glaze.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:47 pm
Well I brought 1 of the side covers to a local body shop. They sad the paint wasn't dry, give it a few more days. Try bringing the parts in the house were its warmer. I hope it's that easy.
Tom
Also what do you think is the least cfms you can get away with, for a gun that takes 13cfm at 23 PSI.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:03 am
forget the super duty thats junk. use perfect it extra cut with a wool and foam pad.that stuff rules cut like nothin and polishes like a glaze. ultimate cutting compound.u wont b dissapointed. then go to machine glaze or G10 with black pad,go till u got all scratch out in every step.then hand glaze to a perfect shine

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail