fish eyes, craters

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:12 pm
Hi, after a lot of asking around I finally gave my car to a painter who was `recommended` by a number of people. It was a complete respray and was done in 2pac.
When finished the car looked awesome, bright, shiny in the sun.. I was very happy.
.......... Until I got it home and in my shed - under the flueros I could see so many flaws and pimples, (including about some very noticable runs) I did the google thing and found a lot on fisheyes and craters etc.
I called the guy and he came round. He virtually said that was normal and in a couple of months I could have the car wet sanded and buffed and they (dimples/runs) would all disappear.
I am no painter but I cant accept this is normal, I certainly didn`t expect the extra trouble and expense of getting someone in to sand and buff.
Also how long should I wait before touching it? Two months seems excessive.
Can 2pac be `touched up`? ie what if whoever buffs it goes thru the paint?
I`d appreciate any comments or advice.
cheers

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:15 am
everything looks way worse in diffused light, fluros, laserlight in shed roofs, shows up every flaw there is,
the runs shouldnt be an issue, same as bits of dust, they can be sanded and buffed out, but im not sure on fisheyes, they are a reaction with the paint, you could try to dap some paint in them until you have filled them in and then sand with 2000wet and buff, it will level out the surface and make them harder to see, other than that, i guess they are there to stay
the final sand and buff should be upto the painter, i wouldnt be keen on letting some1 else do the final part of a job with my name on it, if it has a **** color sand and buff job, its wat ppl see as the final product!!
krem

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 pm
thanks for that, I`ll have someone look at it and see where I go from there, the dabbing paint in the `holes` seems a good idea.
its been a couple of weeks since the paint,
its been parked in the sun during the day while I do the cleaning up of all the chrome and stainless. how long before I can attempt to give it a shot with 2000?
cheers

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 am
you can pretty much colorsand when the paint is cured, it should tell you a time on the tin or the tech sheet, i generally wat a few days as i dont have a oven,
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 am
matman wrote:Hi, after a lot of asking around I finally gave my car to a painter who was `recommended` by a number of people. It was a complete respray and was done in 2pac.
When finished the car looked awesome, bright, shiny in the sun.. I was very happy.
.......... Until I got it home and in my shed - under the flueros I could see so many flaws and pimples, (including about some very noticable runs) I did the google thing and found a lot on fisheyes and craters etc.
I called the guy and he came round. He virtually said that was normal and in a couple of months I could have the car wet sanded and buffed and they (dimples/runs) would all disappear.
I am no painter but I cant accept this is normal, I certainly didn`t expect the extra trouble and expense of getting someone in to sand and buff.
Also how long should I wait before touching it? Two months seems excessive.
Can 2pac be `touched up`? ie what if whoever buffs it goes thru the paint?
I`d appreciate any comments or advice.
cheers

Not to be nosey but how much did you pay for the job? I only ask as lets say you paid $200 (US) to have your car repainted, then I would expect plenty of flaws. Not sure I would cut/buff out the dirt nibs and orange peel myself for a low price. You get what you pay for man.

On the other hand, if you paid him well, then I would be expecting a well done job.

Not trying to get anyone mad, but all too often I am asked to paint for dang near free but they expect a pro finish.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail