Honeymoon is over; I hate people.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:46 pm
I spent four months of weekends, plus a couple of whole weeks giving my 2000 Tundra the love that she deserves (body work and paint job).

I've bypassed the open parking spaces close to the entrances of Wal-Mart and Lowes and parked in the boonies. I even avoid the premo covered parking of Lowes contractor parking. By the time I hike to the entrance of these stores, I'm wanting a bottled water!

But some A-hole (I suspect) dragged a shopping cart down the side of my truck! :realmad:

Is this too deep for a buffing? Can I airbrush on some clear then C&B?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:18 pm
Sorry to see that and I know this won't make you feel any better but this happens to everyone and sometimes a lot worse. Probably too deep to sand out but if you very carefully lay in some clear with an artist/pinstripe type of brush and let it cure for a while then you should be able to hard block it and then buff it out. Airbrush may also work.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:01 am
First thing you need to do is establish how deep the scratch is. Spray it with Prepsol and if it pretty much disappears then you know it's just in the clear.

From there you have to make a decision. Either to try to fill it with clear or to try to buff it out. It's a judgement call but once made you are committed.

If you decide to try to fill then use a square cut brush (like a nail polish brush) and just touch the clear in, don't stroke. Overfill a little and allow to fully dry. Then treat it like a run or sag.

If you decide to buff then all you're aiming to do is round off the shoulders of the scratch, not reduce the surrounding paint to the level of the bottom of the scratch.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:01 pm
Nate, this truck project is teaching you how to do all sorts of new repairs!!! :bighug:

Sorry bout the scratch on your baby...

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail