Pad issue or operator error? I am baffled.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:14 am
Finished my 1st paint job at votech. All went well and finally got it all wet sanded to 1500g. Since time in school is limited, been working on it in sections. Trunk 1st and buffed out great and so did the top. newbie mistake and missed 1000g on hood and the 1500 could not remove the 800 scratches. They sure showed up after compounding. resanded to 1000, 1500g, then smoothed out with 2000g pad and compounded again..

Now I have microscopic white specs that look like dust. I was using an 8inch 3m white pad in school and first compound of hood had no spots...and neither does the trunk or top. I compounded the hood at home using a 6 inch orange lake country ccs pad, 1 pass, then 2 more with the white LC ccs pad. Used 3m ex prefect it 1 at school and home.

I also wet sanded a test spot with 1500g then 2000pad and compounded again. The spots didn't change. When look at them with 20x magnification they are not in scratches, which there is none, and not in swirl marks, which are minimal but expected with 3m perfect it 1.

I am stumped...any suggestions? Can the spots be from using different pads? That is about all that changed. Last thing I can think to add is DA at school was set to 1400 and DA at home was set to 5.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Want to finish the car this weekend but think I should figure this out before I work on the sides.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:54 pm
Sounds like solvent pop with compound now buried in the microscopic pore.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm
Thanks Nova,

Since they were not there before I will assume they are in the layer of CC that I reached during leveling on second attempt. I laid 1 light coat and 4 wet coats so plenty to work with but not sure which one I have reached. Or how much is left.

Took it by to show a paint shop. they said it looks like real tiny pin holes while looking at it with 20x magnifier. I do not have enough clear left to repaint the affected area. The only solvent pop I have seen before were larger and noticeable when sanding. Maybe I was so happy seeing the gloss, that I didn't notice them the first time.

They make products to hide/mask swirls...will these work on pin holes too? This is just a daily driver and expect to get rock chips since the nose of these XJSs sit so low. So I can live with what looks like "dust" for now.

As mentioned, car has been compounded out with 3m perfect it 1. I have not bought any fine cut. polish or glaze yet. Have no brand loyalty or preference. Any suggestion on what products to use to mask/hide these pesky little boogers?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:47 pm
Not that I've ever popped anything before :neutral: ...but the only solution I've come up with is sand to the non-affected substrate, which is usually the base in my experience. Can you post a picture or two ?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:47 pm
White spots magnified.
[/url][/img]

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 pm
Looks like solvent pop with compound embedded in holes. Wet it let soak then hit it with high pressure water. See it some of them come out.
Either way the only way to fix will be a respray of affected areas.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:50 pm
Crikey that's a lot of pop!

As Duraspank says, soak and high pressure wash. Then, later, use a coloured polish.
Chris

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail