cleaning compound and glaze

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:04 pm
I just finished buffing and glazing my second paint job. Does anyone know any tricks to getting the compound out of all the trim and joints? I usually use a soft tooth brush or small paint brush, but its still a pain. Are there any solivents or cleaners that make the job easier?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:24 am
I usually use VMP Naphtha as a solvent and use a combination of q-tips, cotton balls, and camel hair artists brushes to remove the gunk. You can find the Naphtha at any Home Depot, hardware or paint center in quarts. Don't let the VMP shake you if you do or don't see it on the can. It's just an old abbreviation for Varnish Maker's and Painter's Naphtha. This solvent does a great job with these old residues or even any old tape residues because it flashes quickly with little chance of disturbing even older paint coatings. It has been a standard in fine furniture restoration for almost a hundred years now.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:47 am
thanks for the advice. Should I use it while the car is dry or during a wash?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:05 pm
I always do it dry so I can really see the crap. I then follow up with a good hand wash, let it dry and inspect again for anything I missed. I follow that up with a hand glaze followed by a quality carnauba based wax if the the paint is fully cured (at least a month or so).
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail