3 step Buffing

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:08 pm
Would like some recommendations for compounds/polishes for buffing a black car.

What specific 3M compounds would you recommend and in what order? Should the final "glaze" be hand applied?

Which type of foam pad should I use for each compound?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:46 pm
This site does a pretty good job of technique and products needed> http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/fenthusiast.jhtml

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:58 am
Thanks, that was helpful...

I'll probably go with:

1. 3M Perfect-it II rubbing compound
2. 3M Perfect-it foam polishing glaze swirl mark remover
3. 3M Perect-it show car wax or 3M imperial hand glaze

Step 3 should be the only hand-applied step? I am using the HF buffer, how do I know what RPM I am at? I have been using speed setting "3".

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:40 pm
Watch that step #3 as the hand glaze is applied first, then the wax is applied after the paint is fully cured over the hand glazed surface. My point is the glaze does not take the place of a protective wax. As for r.p.m. s I've found that there is enough variation in those buffers that you just have to fiddle around with them for speed settings. Doing test panels is the best way to arrive at your speed settings.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:00 pm
Kato wrote:Step 3 should be the only hand-applied step? I am using the HF buffer, how do I know what RPM I am at? I have been using speed setting "3".

Doesnt the directions state what each setting spins at?
If not, what about the entire range (ie. 1000-3000rpm)???

If its the latter Id say #3 is probably waaay too fast. I think the recommended max speed is like 1500 rpm's.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:58 am
your perfect it compounds r exactly what u wanna use u got the idea and glaze is rubbed on by hand with a micro fiber towel.and i even use extra cut to get the job done alot quicker.and that glaze can b used as wax if u glaze it every so often to keep the shine.thats all i use because it is easy to apply and polish off instead of other weird waxes

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail