Waiting to wet sand and rub new paint.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am
Is there a real problem with waiting a few weeks to cut and buff fresh paint? I've always done it within a few days, but a planned vacation is going to interfere. Here is the situation; Bare metal, epoxy, urethane, sealer, single stage ppg black. I just did the one fender and deck lid (off the car, also off the car are the bumper covers and hood) with 5 coats of color. I am looking for a mile deep show car shine, and my prep work will make that happen. I did those panels first so I would have room in the garage for the next step, which is the rear of the car (attached doors, quarters, all jams, under hood area already done), and finally, the bumper covers and hood. I am going on vacation a week from this Thursday, and will be gone from the 10th to the 20th of September. If I get it all painted prior to the 10th, and wait to cut and buff when I get back, would it be ok? I plan on the whole 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 procedure (like I've done with other black projects). Any opinions, and especially by someone who has waited this long would be appreciated.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm
Mark, any paint can be cut/buffed at any time after it has been applied. The question is how hard will it be to complete. Some clears stay soft for a long time. Some get pretty hard, but can still be cut/buffed - with additional elbow grease.

BTW, do you want me to attempt to combine your two accounts here...I had a vague feeling you were here a couple of years ago and see an old/similar account. I can merge them if you want me to?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:01 pm
chris wrote:Mark, any paint can be cut/buffed at any time after it has been applied. The question is how hard will it be to complete. Some clears stay soft for a long time. Some get pretty hard, but can still be cut/buffed - with additional elbow grease.

BTW, do you want me to attempt to combine your two accounts here...I had a vague feeling you were here a couple of years ago and see an old/similar account. I can merge them if you want me to?
Yes, go ahead, and thanks. I had been gone for awhile, and when I came back my old name and password weren't recognized, so I started from scratch. And, as to my paint question, it is single stage, not base/clear if that makes any difference.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail