Fixing runs in flat clear?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:57 pm
Anyone have any tricks to fixing some runs in a flat finish clear? I just sprayed my engine bay, and there are a lot of tight spaces in there. As a result I found it hard to get even coats. The material (I used PCL26 Flat Clear) says not to use more than 2 coats, so I didn't want to do a bunch of light coats, and ended up with 2 big runs. Now I know I'm not supposed to cut and buff flat clears, but what if I spray another coat after scraping off the runs? The runs are right on the shock towers, so they could also be isolated and resprayed, but then I'm concerned about to many coats. Thoughts?

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:52 pm
The reason they say no more than 2 coats is because it tends to not keep a "flat" finish. The more coats, the more "gloss" effect you will get. Matte or flat finishes tend to be a pain in the a**. You can't repair them, can't buff them, and have to use special cleaners that wont gloss it up.
They look really good, don't get me wrong. A black flat finish on a car is one of my favorite looks, and I manufacture clear. lol
At this point, you can sand the run out and respray it, but I do not think you will be happy with the end result. But you very well may be very happy with it. You are suppose to have a even spray pattern etc, and if you plan on only spraying the repair area, it wont look good. (think like a kandy, even and consistent) If you want to try it and see if it looks acceptable to you, go for it. Just keep in the back of your mind that you may not like it.
Hope that helps,

Tammy Miller
Tamco Paint
https://www.facebook.com/TamcoPaint

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am
Yes, that is very helpful. I think I'll try to scrape off the sag, then color and clear again. Seems like I'll have the best chance of a match that way. I'll try post my results. Thanks,

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail