when through base

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:18 pm
Used too aggressive grit polish on thin area based and clear on truck bedside aprx. 2" spot
Can I respray just that area I so how?
Larry

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:29 pm
Need to know if you sanded through the base to the primer or just sanded through the clear to the base?
Did you activate your base coat?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:48 pm
I used 1000grit to sand orange peel , then went to mequiars medium compound 7 on the scale. I noticed the pad picking up blue color while buffing noticed the gray epoxy also . only spot on rear qrt .
Almost think base coverage was poor there. seemed like painter having trouble with hvlp gun. What is meant by activating basecoat , Flash time ??
Larry

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 am
Activating a base coat means you add about an ounce of clear coat activator to 16 oz. of mixed paint.
Flash time is the minimum amount of time you should wait between coats when spraying.
The reason I asked if you activated the base is because it helps in cases like yours to prevent problems when fixing sand throughs.

FYI 1000 grit scratches are very difficult to get out with compound. Generally you will flatten the clear (remove OP) with 1000, then sand with 1500, followed by 2000 before going to compound.

I agree that your base and clear must have been very thin in this area.

Do you have the spray equipment to fix this problem yourself?
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm
Coronet
yes did use activator . Went by book on everything except poor coverage in this half dollar spot . Painter complined of gun not spraying correctly so switched to old school sharpe brand siphon gun to finish up clear on drivers side .
yes have equimpment , Like to use devilbus touch up gun to fix , noticed when cleaning that its got an 1.0 nozzle needle , Why is this on not an 1.3 like on standard size hvlp gunin kit ? Hope this all makes sense
Thanks Larry

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:35 pm
yes a touch up gun will have a smaller tip than a larger gun. I finish sand with at least 2000 grit by hand or 3000 - 5000 grit 3m trizac on an orbital before polishing

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:20 pm
Most sand throughs are feathered into the surrounding paint. If the base was activated you should be able to dull the panel with gray Scotchbrite pad and then shoot some more clear. Providing you didn't go through to the primer. If that is the case you will need to shoot some base first and then clear.

In some cases you may need to shoot some 2k primer to seal and level things out but I have found many times it is unnecessary when the base was activated.

Try to shoot a very light coat just over the sand through first. Check for any wrinkling or other signs of trouble. The next coat should extend just a bit farther and taper off.

The entire panel should be clear coated to reduce the risk of peeing.
1968 Coronet R/T

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail