Should I repaint or sand down? (Orange peel)

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 am
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but I really need advice on whether I should wetsand my car or repaint the whole thing.

A little backstory, so I have a 99' Honda Accord, and it was my first car, I'm 19. But when I got it, my dad tried to paint it and he put really good paint on it, he just overdid it (it feels really thick). And there is heavy orange peel throughtout the whole car. It looks good from afar, but up close it's so distracting. I would add a pic, but I don't have one atm.

Really, the only reason I want to fix it is because it's annoying and I would like to sell my car and get as much as I can for it. I just feel like, with the orange peel, it won't sell. I would like to fix some things on it and fix the paint, and I think I could make some money on it. It runs good and has rims (that actually look good on it, unlike some I see lol). They're subtle and think they will help with resale value.

But I have no experience in this type of thing, and don't want to mess it up to where I'm screwed. I heard that you could wetsand everything, but idk how much to do and idk how long that would take. What do you guys recommend I do? Thanks!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 pm
Is it base coat with clear coat over it or single stage paint?
Is it a solid color or a metallic?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:08 am
IMO just sell it. Won't bring you the extra $ compared to the time you'll spend. If all goes well. It'll be worth less if it don't.
Sell the buyer on it just needs to be cut and buffed. You would but don't have the equipment to do it.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail