Sanding clear with what sand paper

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 pm
To add to this post if anyone is interested.
A car came in For a new paint job. Some areas were fine but a majority of it has scratches and chipped paint.

So being that I'm going to sand the car anyways, i tried using a square sander with the 3m rectangle sheets on the hood(a cleaner portion of the paint)
I slid a 2k sheet in and started using the sander. I used very little pressure and sanded a small 1'x1' area till i saw it was flat and had no orange peel.
I hit it with the buffer and some compound and i cant believe it worked, gave a mirror image in that area where other areas had a blurry image!
This method would be best for flat areas. The sanders pad is not flexible and getting into deep corners would require hand sanding.
Just throwing this info out here. It was only an experiment and it worked.

I may do a write up on it.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:52 am
i would only use 800 grit if the peel is pretty thick, generally i start with 1200 to take the top the peel, then 1500 till its smooth, then 2000 and finish up with 4000 and it will buff up real fast!!
i like balsa wood for my blocks, its cheap and can be cut and shaped real easily, i also have some soft rubber blocks which are good after the peel is gone
i just put up sime pics in another thread of the products i used on the mrs black peugot, here is the link,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24835

krem

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:28 pm
I have never had to use 800, i dont think i have any orange peel that bad, but note taken if i do ever have some that bad, i will drop to800.
And just saw that other post. Crazy what sanding and buffing can do.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail