how long?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:54 pm
How long should i wait on a newly urathane bc/cc car to color sand and buff. avg. air temp is 65-70 degrees daytime. i figured 4-5 days does that sound right or sould i wait longer. also what do you use to thin down urathane clear, reducer or laquer thinner.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:08 pm
Your Product sheet for your clear should have your info. about time for waiting for color sanding and buffing. Yeah, most clears are ready in about 4 or 5 days but you can wait longer if you are not an experienced buffer, it cuts down on possible burn through. Again your product sheet should tell you what thinner goes with your urethane clear, definitely not lacquer thinner.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:56 am
I was going to ask a similar question, but on a different tack... how long can I wait? I'm in the military moving from CA to HI and the car will be on the carrier for 4-6 weeks. I have some pretty good runs and sags that I'd like to take care of, but will not have much time before I go. Is it ok to wait that long before repairing?

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread. Clear is ppg 2024 3 coats.

Brust

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:40 am
You can wait as long as you want really, just as time goes by the clear becomes harder and harder to buff out due to the curing.. I would take a razor blade to the runs now before you leave and would also sand down the sags at least... By doing this you are ahead of the game when you can get time to buff... It wont hurt anything being left like that either..

BTW you can sand almost any clear after 24 hours without problems as long as it is 70 and above!! Often times even sooner.... but I would not recommend doing this unless you are someone who does this on a regular basis and is confident in his/her abilities
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail