Info on intervals between cut-buff-wax.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:38 am
Looking to get some info on why some people will sand their clear smooth flat then wait a week or so to buff it and why some people say to wax the car after a month?

I figure you are already cutting up the clear with sand paper so why do some people wait to buff?
I can only think of paint being to soft for the buffer. But it was just sanded...

And does the wax do something bad to the paint if waxed too soon?

Thanks.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:57 am
Some people like to wait to cut and buff primarily because they're trying to avoid sand scratches and its easier to burn through on edges when the clear isn't as hard as it will be in a few weeks.

I almost always cut and buff the following day after I paint. There's a few exceptions to this, but if your good with a buffer; burn throughs seldom ever happen.

As for why not to wax for at least 6 weeks, generally speaking your finish isnt fully cured for 4-6 weeks. Yes it's hard and shines like glass, but there is still chemicals escaping from the surface of the paint. Wax acts as a sealant, it puts a protective layer on the surface when you wax or polish the surface therefore protecting the paint. And you don't want to seal the surface of new paint, trapping the escaping fumes. Waxing too soon "can" cause problems like the finish getting hazy or looking oxidized. Have you ever walked into a garage where there was a freshly painted car sitting and where still able to smell the new paint?

Now your compounds and glazes do not leave a film behind on the surface, thus allowing the fumes to escape from the paint. I always tell me customers to wait 6 weeks to polish the new paint. Wax basically acts as a barrier between the finish and the elements.
"My vehicles are always dressed in formal attire, wearing a Black Bowtie"

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm
Thanks for the rely black bow tie!

I have cut and polish following days as well and never had issues. So was just wondering why some people would wait. Thanks for the info.

And the waxing part makes sense now that you say it.

Ill let people know not to wax their car till the paint has cured.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail