Porter Cable 7403

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:34 am
I have a Porter Cable 7403 I have used this as a polisher/buffer in the past but mainly with detailing not for buffing out new paint. Would this be adequate for this? It is variable with the lowest setting at 3300 RPMs. It is not a DA, I really do not want to spring for a DA unless it is highly suggested and if so what is an economical DA buffer? I know I will not be using this again for quite some time after this project and if so I will be most likely in a different financial situation (hopefully better LOL). Of course I still need to buy pads etc. just planning after I get the paint finished. Personally I wouldn't care if hand buffing is good too.

My plans are:
1000-1200 grit wet
1500 wet
2000 wet
Meguiar's 105
Meguiar's 205
and maybe a finishing polish afterwards

After the final buffing does the paint then get waxed or should it be good to go after this?
Thank you

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:29 pm
r91488 wrote:I have a Porter Cable 7403 I have used this as a polisher/buffer in the past but mainly with detailing not for buffing out new paint. Would this be adequate for this? It is variable with the lowest setting at 3300 RPMs. It is not a DA, I really do not want to spring for a DA unless it is highly suggested and if so what is an economical DA buffer? I know I will not be using this again for quite some time after this project and if so I will be most likely in a different financial situation (hopefully better LOL). Of course I still need to buy pads etc. just planning after I get the paint finished. Personally I wouldn't care if hand buffing is good too.

My plans are:
1000-1200 grit wet
1500 wet
2000 wet
Meguiar's 105
Meguiar's 205
and maybe a finishing polish afterwards

After the final buffing does the paint then get waxed or should it be good to go after this?
Thank you

Okay I have done enough research to know that 3300 rpm's are probably too fast, can anyone recommend a polisher/buffer reasonably priced? Like I said I most likely will not be using this very much in the distant future, just to wrap up this car. Including pads, my past experience is that I use the pads so little they break down from aging than use no matter what I have done. My plan is still the same as above (unless there are better suggestions) I really do not want to spend more than $150-200 on the buffer/pads if can get away with it. Thanks in advance

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:37 pm
I am a detailer and have done lots of paint correction work and have a few machines.

For a budget setup the Harbor Freight DA is an oftern over looked choice. The price point with a coupon puts it in the $50ish range. It's better than the Porter Cable and on par with the Griots 6" machine. For the record I have all of these and the HF and Griots are my go to's for their size range in many applications.

Good luck

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:14 am
Thanks for the reply!!! I bought a HF a while back and the handle stripped out on both sides before I could finish my truck LOL Figured it wasn't that great. Maybe give it a try again, its still new. Im not sure if you use cutting pads but I am trying to pick between a foam or wool for the first "cut" on a new paint job and I hear pros and cons with both. Any suggestions?

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail