Washing car after paint

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:57 am
Painted my truck with Sherwin Williams Sunfire single stage acrylic urethane on Wednesday. Had to get it out of the booth on Thursday so it had 24hrs of 70 degree dry temp. Now ( Saturday ) it is covered in road salt...spring is here :) What is the best way to wash this right now? No mention on PDS, only decals may be applied after 72 hours of air dry.

Thanks,

Craig
72 Nova in progress!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:33 pm
To me that's not long for drying although I am sure the curing the process is well under way. If I am shooting parts or a car in the winter I like to keep the stuff at 70 degrees for at least a couple of weeks and then slowly turn the temps. down in my garage over the course of another week or so. Get that salt (and I am sure that it's not just salt but a chemical "cocktail" of crap) off immediately by hand washing with a decent quality car wash soap and water. Use cotton rags with no bound edges. No power washers or commercial washes at this point. I would use a decent non sealing hand glaze to offer some protection while it still cures, then wax it in a month or so. If the salt has etched the clear coat at all you may have to do some mild compounding and buffing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:57 pm
That is way long enough to be able to hand wash with with soap and water. I have washed cars after about 8 hours in 70 degree temp dry in the middle of winter and never had a problem. Wouldn't recommend it, but 24 hours in paint booth, and then 48 more hours it will not hurt it a bit.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail