First time color sanding? request techniques used

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:26 pm
Trying 3 stage paint for the first time. I want to color sand and want advice. Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:38 am
What I have learned from the guys at this web site over the last year is that color sanding technique really starts with how you have shot your clear. I think a reasonable goal is to try to shoot a final flowcoat or burn coat that allows you to start no lower than a 1200 or better yet 1500 grit paper. Soak your paper for at least a few hours or even overnight in a bucket of water. When your ready to sand add a teaspoon or two of liquid soap to a clean bucket of water. I wrapped my paper around what's called a dual density sponge block (softer rubber on one side/hard rubber on other side) then kept dipping my paper in that soap solution. Every now and then I would dip my paper in another bucket of clean water. I would do a panel at a time and rinse that panel and look at it dry to seek if it was totally flat before moving on. Once you have done the entire car just repeat the entire process moving up to 2000 grit. Some guys will even continue up to 3000 grit. I prefer to move from 2000 grit into my compounds. Everybody does this a little different, this is just works for me based on what I've learned here.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:53 pm
Some further advice, when sanding stay off the edges of the paint, because if you sand though ( burn ) the clear, there is no way to fix it except respraying. I use a uni-grit block, to remove runs and trash, then sand those spots with 1500, and then hit the whole panel with 2000 grit..

since the buffer spins around, its best to do your sanding in small up and down motions, making your 1500 / 2000 grit sand scratches one direction, then the buffer will hit the scratches and knock them out faster...

also, when your wet sanding listen to the paper if you hear a peice of dirt start scratching the clear, pour water on the panel, to clean any forigen objects away...
Nightrain

sikkens certified
ppg global certified

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:50 am
be sure to have enough clear to sand as far as u want and all u need is 1000 grit with 3m extra cut compound. if u go to 2000 or 3000 u r just wasting to much time sanding and not enough polishing.cut with 1000 to glass then buff.u cant get glass with 2 or 3000 because that is like sanding with school paper.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail