Cheap Wool Pad Bonnet vs expensive Wool Pad?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 am
I brought the rockwell series rotary buffer and the wool bonnet attaches by valcro on a firm pad that screws onto the buffer. This wool bonnet however looks cheap & the sewing beneath the wool looks somewhat exposed on the sides & could easily scratch the paint if you tend to angle the buffer & use the outter edge.
I want to be able to put a thick style Wool Pad like the W5000 on my Rotary which uses a M14 spindle thread.

Would this just thread on easy? & no problems?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 pm
not sure... the buffer i use is makita with 5/8 shaft and i use a 3m quick connect and a white foam pad for cutting
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm
The Rockwell buffer is junk. Take it back to Supercheap and get your money back.

If you can't do that then start by throwing that wool pad in the bin. Get yourself a decent 6" velcro base plate and a few foam pads. The Contour brand are good enough. Supercheap sell the orange ones but that grade is quite hard and the foam chips very easily. Try to get the white ones as a good all round pad.

You will grow to hate that buff if you keep it. Needing to keep the trigger pulled against a strong spring becomes very tiring, very quickly. I know because I made the mistake of buying one, which we keep as an emergency spare. Actually had to use it last week when the Makita 9227 finally, after about 6 years of daily use, gave up the ghost with a collapsed bearing. Replaced it with a Bosch blue which is nearly a kilogram lighter. When you're on the thing 3-4 hours/day that weight saving is significant. We'll see how long it lasts, but comes with a 3 year warranty so for $300 it's worth a shot against the new Makita at well over $500.
Chris

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 am
NFT5 wrote:The Rockwell buffer is junk. Take it back to Supercheap and get your money back.

If you can't do that then start by throwing that wool pad in the bin. Get yourself a decent 6" velcro base plate and a few foam pads. The Contour brand are good enough. Supercheap sell the orange ones but that grade is quite hard and the foam chips very easily. Try to get the white ones as a good all round pad.

You will grow to hate that buff if you keep it. Needing to keep the trigger pulled against a strong spring becomes very tiring, very quickly. I know because I made the mistake of buying one, which we keep as an emergency spare. Actually had to use it last week when the Makita 9227 finally, after about 6 years of daily use, gave up the ghost with a collapsed bearing. Replaced it with a Bosch blue which is nearly a kilogram lighter. When you're on the thing 3-4 hours/day that weight saving is significant. We'll see how long it lasts, but comes with a 3 year warranty so for $300 it's worth a shot against the new Makita at well over $500.

Thanks, it was on sale & a good learning before spending bigger $. I wouldn't want to use this doing a whole car, but for thick plastics that are severely scratched wool pad just gets them out so quick.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail