Are Polyurethane Clears easy to Cut & Polsih to high gloss?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:22 am
Is Polyurethane clear as easy to detail to a high gloss like lacquer? Are there any detailing issues with heat & pressure causing visual flaws? From my reading with Polyurethane clears in woodworking even 2pack they are very hard to get to a high gloss & the results are inconsistent.

Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:29 am
what are you working on exactly ? i use both pre cat lacquer on wood and poly clear.
but these days on automotive is usually polyurethane clear. pretty easy to manage
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:50 am
PainterDave wrote:what are you working on exactly ? i use both pre cat lacquer on wood and poly clear.
but these days on automotive is usually polyurethane clear. pretty easy to manage

Hi.
Was considering it anything on my car or other things like Bike. I was more curious since people saying that PolyU is better than Lacquer for cars. And if it was anything like PolyU used in woodworking which is soft-flexible resisting the polish process somewhat & hard to finish without inconsistent results. Maybe the PolyU in the auto industry is simple different?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:14 pm
yeah theyre a little different. lacquer dont have much strength. urethane clear in the automotive side is pretty tough. i got some clears that after 24 hours you cant polish at all. so stay with automotive side if doing anything auto
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail