What am I doing wrong with wetsanding CC?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 am
I'm trying to wetsand my clear coat down a bit because it has really heavy orange peel, highs and lows, when I wetsand though I am washing the spot im going to sand, rinsing and then using 1,000-1,200 paper. I tried to use the block but the panel has a lot of curves.

I noticed when sanding its driving these white speckles into the paint and kind of pitting them in. I'm not sure if this is clear or sand paper grit getting drived in

I'm using normal town water you get out of a garden hose. I have tried spraying with one hand and sanding with the other to keep the spot wet. And tried frequently washing the sand paper and panel to remove the build up.

Am I pressing to hard on the block/sand paper?

Any advice?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:07 pm
You've got solvent pop or solvent entrapment. No way to correct other that to sand and refinish. If you don't, you'll always see those specs. The voids will fill with compound.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:13 pm
Kevin Campbell wrote:You've got solvent pop or solvent entrapment. No way to correct other that to sand and refinish. If you don't, you'll always see those specs. The voids will fill with compound.

**** that's from the base coat right? I did put the clear on way to soon.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:18 pm
You need to let the base coat flash off with more time before clear.

Yes, it is from base coat.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:43 pm
I wouldn't say it's necessarily from the base. Improper range activators and reducers combined with heavy application are common causes. Exposing the panel to sunlight too soon after spraying seems to cause it also.

Some clears are more prone than others. I can spray cases of some clears with the same activators year round without issue. I try others, and have pinholes show in the clear on the first job. Ultimately, it comes down to what products work for you.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail