Recommendations for Cut and Buff Systems?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm
I realize this has probably been asked and talked about before but I also realize opinions change with experience so, what is your recommended system / products for cutting and buffing. I plan to do my first BC/CC as soon as I have the prep work done (a couple weeks from now) on my 68' Mustang and am researching what brand polishes / products to use. I've seen the "Paintucation Color Sanding and Buffing" video and have a basic idea of the process. I also found 3M's "Perfect-It Compound & Polish Buffing Kit" that includes the 3 pads and compounds. I've never actually done this before and thought I'd ask for recommendations before I bought this kit. Is that a good system for a beginner or do you have other products that may be a better option? The clear I'm going to use is Matrix MS-42 high solids and their tech sheet says it can be cut and buffed the next day. What are your thoughts please?

Lenny B

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:31 pm
Lenny, if you think you've got a lot of choices out there with paint....get ready....cutting and buffing is almost like a separate skill set/voodoo/science. I almost never do it the same unless it is a clear that I've used before and have notes on how I worked it the last time. A softer clear like ********** Universal, for instance, is pretty easily worked for me. I could stop the sanding process even as low as 1200 to 1500 grit, go to twisted wool with a medium compound, and then switch to foam pad with lighter compound and done. A harder clear like PPG 2021 clear I'd be cutting up to more like 2000 grit, then going to twisted wool with 3M heavy duty compound, then to medium/light compounds on foam. One thing I picked up from a pretty good cut and buff guy was to do the sanding one day and the buffing the next day. Letting the coating set overnight between those processes lets any further trapped gasses get off and possible shrinkage is over with before you move on to the polishing stages. As for what to use in the way of compounds 3M, Meguiars, Menzerna, and on and on are all fine. For the beginner a "kit" is not a bad idea in my opinion. 68 Coronet is a little more of a guru on this subject than the rest of us. Maybe he'll chime in here..... he's also got some great pictures of the "stages" of clarification in the polishing process......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail