Found the missing link in my buffing process. Now success

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 pm
For YEARS I struggled with color sanding, and buffing after mastering painting/body work.

I would use 2k grit wet sandpaper [usually, with soapy water], sand the paint down, then hit it with an orbital buffer, something like this, and I also use the same pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Variable-Spee ... Swh2xX~-jJ

I would use the buffer with the red pad first on the max setting of the buffer, and Mequires 105 compound [as recommended here], then move to a med pad, and Meg 205 compound.

I still had white haze in the paint.

So last week I finally found the missing link to the issue.

I've got a huge one speed buffer that I tried to use for many years with a wool pad, but the HUGE NUT in the middle of the wheel that holds the pad on would invariably end up screwing up the paint very bad [as it was hard to control the buffer, and keep the pad only on the edge.]

Well, I finally found a wool pad that had a hard, threaded plastic backing so that there was no need for the huge hold down nut.

With no nut to hit the paint I was able to take out most of the sanding haze with the wool pad, again using a bit of water, and Meg 105, then switched to the orbital buffer/red pad, and Meg 105, then 205, and wax.

I'm glad I finally figured this out as buffing was the last thing I hadn't mastered dealing with automotive restoration.

Now I can do it all..................thanks for all of the help along the way.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Hey, you forgot the pictures. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Hey, you forgot the pictures. :wink:

Nope, this was on a car I bought to sell.

I had some over spray on the hood where I had to repaint a fender, and didn't mask the hood well enough.

I decided to wet sand the overspray out vs just re-sanding, and shooting clear.

I got the dreaded white haze, tried to buff it with the orbital buffer with no luck, then found the wool wheel I had bought several months ago, but had forgotten about it.

The hood looks much better now than it did with the oem paint peeling off, but nothing close to a show quality paint job. Hey, its a $3500 car, but it turned out to be a great car to practice buffing.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail