wet sanding and blending HELP!

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:39 pm
I have a 1992 Coprvette (bright red) that had some poor body work previously done around the driver's mirror. A 3" by 4" section around the mirror on the door the paint cracked and peeled down to the composite. I removed the problem area and repaired it correctly and then sanded with 220 and 400. I scuffed a 15" square area with 400 and then used a gray 3M pad to scuff a 2' area to the belt line and about 2/3 way back on the door. I shot 3 coats of high build up primer sanded with 400 and 600 and then 4 coats of base coat and 5 coats of clear coat. I used rattle cans from automotivetouchup.com. The match and the finish was very good. I waited about 36 hours to wet sand. The temps have been in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. The car is garaged.
Now here's the problem I am wet sanding with 1500 and the finish is coming out as I expected except the area where it is supposed to be blending with the old finish is the problem. The new clear coat paint is coming off (obviously an adhesion problem). The more I sand, the more it comes off and will not blend. Question: Should I continue to wet sand until it begins to blend, or should I just take most of the paint off with something more aggressive and then shoot the whole door? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
92 Vette

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:55 pm
Okay, first of all I've done some blending work over the years but not as much as other seasoned pros here so this is more like my opinion. Rattle cans = low solids. Doing a repair like this with rattle cans is not giving you enough film to work with. I am also assuming since these are touch-up materials that they are products that have no type of hardner so they are more than likely acrylic lacquer based products. I don't think you are ever going to get this stuff to blend without it further coming off as you go. I think I would scrap the whole process at this point and go to your local paint jobber store and get something like a good PPG or other high end factory paint pack (primer, base, clear, + the needed hardners, reducers, etc.) and gun it on. Blending work is hard enough to do without throwing rattle can paint work in the mix.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail