Help, I sanded thru base/clear!

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:23 pm
I just did my first BC/CC paint job on one of my motorcycles (Sportbike). The base went on nicely but I got some sags/runs in the clear as well as some newbie orange peel. I read up on run repair, let it cure for 24 hours, scraped the runs down some with a razor, then started wetsanding with 1000 then went to 1500.

Things were going along great, the runs were disappearing and I was thinking "Man, this is going to work!" Just about then, I hit primer. Grrrrr! I have a couple 1 inch spots on each side where the primer is showing through, the tank is now all sanded smooth to 1500.

What are my options? Do I have to sand the whole tank and start over with base and then clear? Can I fog in some base over the sand-throughs then re-clear the whole tank? If so, what grit do I prep the tank with, 600?, 400?

Specifics of the job:
Omni MP170 Epoxy primer, one coat
Omni MP182 Surfacer, two coats, sanded
PPG DBC 9000 (black), two coats
Omni MC161 clear, three coats

Thanks,
Mike

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:02 pm
Mike, do yourself a favor and copy and re-post this over in the Paint and Body section or send it as a private message to Reckon. He is an experienced bike shooter and I think this question is more in his expertise. I am only saying this because what I might tell you to do on a car is different when seen on something as up close as a bike.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:12 pm
Thanks, I'll spam a copy of this over in Paint/Body as well, I imagine that area gets more traffic.

Thanks again.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail