Buffing??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:39 pm
Hey, everybody i have a question. I sanded with 1500 which i didn't get out all the peel. When the sun hits it you can see little spots everywhere, but i am scared to try to sand it anymore does anyone thing i should? And also i tried to buff i hit it first with 3m perfect it extra cut compund, then went to maqueirs machine glaze. Well i buffed with the 3m right out in the sun and it buffed up great, but about 25 min laters it looked real dull. Did i not get off all the compound? Anyway i used a wool pad on compund and a foam polishing pad on the glaze, which just doesnt seem to do anything but make a mess. I still have little dull spots here and there that i just cant seem to get out. What could you guys tell me to do about all this?? And is there anyway i can get like 1500 or so grit paper for a regular DA? Like just the stik it, or do they only make the Hookit? Thanks for any help i am lost. I gotta admit i thought this buffing would be a lil easier than this. HA was i wrong. Well thats what you get when you dont know what your doing. My dads car has dull spots in it and he is just living with it. I would really rather not. :(

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:19 pm
the best way to learn is through trial and error. My boss is teaching me the "proper" way to buff a car. 8)
Learning How To Learn

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:58 pm
well problem is i am having to buff each panel 20 times and it still aint working. I have followed all the direction that i have read through the posts here and still cant get it. The main problem is that i will buff and it looks great but 30 min later there are all kinds of dull spots. The spots will buff right out, but you see the pattern here i will be here forever. i am wiping down right after the spot is done with a microfiber towel and the spots keep returning. I am using a pure wool pad with 3M perfict it extra cut. I also have tried the wizard compund ehich i really like cause it doesn't sling as bad. Anyway anybody know what the deal is with these spots please help. They have got me and my dad i i have no idea what they are or how to stop them. It seems as though i am not getting all the compund off or something. Does that sound about right? Please help!!!!!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:18 pm
MO, any chance you could get a picture up of the problem? If one of us could see it I'm sure we could help you. I'll admit buffing can sometimes be frustrating but you shouldn't be getting spotting out unless maybe you're breaking through your clear or maybe you're getting the surface too hot and melting your filler underneath. That's a question right there. Are these spots where you have filled???
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:12 am
YOu should not be buffing in the sun to begin with bro... You do not want the surface hot, nor do you want to heat it up while you buff, as this will dull the finish of todays urethanes and polyurethane clears... Set you buffer speed to around 1500-1850... what color is it you are buffing??? If it is a dark color it will be easier for you to use the perfect it lll with a foam polishing pad. not a foam compound pad ( there is a difference ), then when it is time to put on your glaze or if you are using mirror glaze it would be Dual Action Cleaner Polish ... whatever use a different ( new ) foam polishing pad... This will take longer than the wool pad and it will take longer than a foam compound pad, but it will be much easier on the paint, less likely to burn through, and you will not have to chase scratches with it...

Lastly if you are still seeing a haze on the car after the buff, it could be the wool pad, and/or sand scratches that are not gone... Again if it is a dark car you are going to chase your tail if you are not experienced at this.

Get us a pic up so we can better see what is going on

Matthew

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:55 pm
I will try to get up some pics of the truck. It turned out EXELLENT!! I am more than satisfied with it. I called 3M and they swore to be damned that it was swirl marks , and while i dont think that it was cause it was just dull they recommended trying a polish. So thats what i did i used mequiers machine glaze with a foam polishing pad and whatdya know it cam out perfect. Who da thunk it. Well thank god i am done with all of it now and it looks so good. I really didnt think i could turn out something like that. I did though thanks to all the help from you guys. And advice i have for a first timer, is to take however long you think it will take you to finish and add a month and that might get ya in the ballpark. It is ALOT of work if you are not a pro and have to learn as you go. That is if you want it to look good anyway. Anyway i will try to get some pics of it here as soon as possible to show what you guys helped me do. Thanks for the time. IT'S DONE!!! :shock:

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:31 pm
hey MO

And also i tried to buff i hit it first with 3m perfect it extra cut compund, then went to maqueirs machine glaze.

i may of missed or misread but if you went form extra cut to glaze that is most likely your problem. you should go extra cut, to fine cut, to swirl remover/polish, then to glaze i perfer hand glaze. also if your having to use extra cut you may want to drop your wet sand to 800-1000 grit then to 1500 grit and do away with the extra cut and start with the fine cut. as far as your current situation try a light round of fine cut then polish then glaze or try starting with the polish working your way up.

good luck
jerry

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm
well sorry for my last post, a little late, i missed that last one glad to hear it came out for you.

jerry

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:38 pm
Yea me to it worked real well. Everone is really surprised at how good it came out. One of my problems is i live in a small town and the only places to get stuff like that is to go to auto part stores. And that is all they had is extra cut. Unless i want to drive 45 min to a actual paint store :roll: so i just tried to make do. I cant wait to get up some pics.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail