What do i do now? tape lift.....

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:27 pm
hi i need help. i just spray the red base nice, the lay down the tape for my stripes, nice.... spray black base nice , waited about 45 min. pulled the tape and WHAM!!!!!!! the **** paint lifted down to the primer its about 3 inches long. what do i do? :cry: thanx vic
BEAUTY IS IN THE EYES OF THE BUYER

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:33 pm
How long did you wait before you taped the red?? If you did not wait long enough that is why it all pulled away... You could use an intercoat the next time for taping lines, graphics etc... It is a clear base coat that you can tape in about 45 minutes with most area's... Where ever that happened on the car, sand, base and begin over again...

What kind of base was it, what kind of tape are u using, how long did you wait b4 taping???

Matthew

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:41 pm
bondoking i am using ppg 2000 base and used the 3m green tape for stripes the next day. this happen on the hood ,the paint came off dead smack on the middle,how much do i sand? do i have to sand the whole hood? how far? down to the primer? also can you elaborate on that intercoat you mention? what is in most areas? thanx :arrow: vic

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:46 am
sparky wrote:bondoking i am using ppg 2000 base and used the 3m green tape for stripes the next day. this happen on the hood ,the paint came off dead smack on the middle,how much do i sand? do i have to sand the whole hood? how far? down to the primer? also can you elaborate on that intercoat you mention? what is in most areas? thanx :arrow: vic

Since you are the beginning stages with this, sand down the area that this happened to. Your paint did not stick here for a reason.. it stuck everywhere else... Sand down your stripes reapply your red base, and then tape apply your black, don't wait so long to pull the tape.. pull it as soon as it flashes.. I don't know why your base pulled, but it could have been solvent getting under the tape and softening up the red in that spot, or it could have had not been sanded as well there, or could have had something on that spot of the hood etc....

You could try and save one side tape it all off and fix the area with your red base and then your black stripe.. Pull it all off and clear the whole hood.. Whatever you feel is easiest for you..

The intercoat is a "clear base coat" pretty much. You can use it for tape offs, or pearls. It is supposed to keep those sort of things from happening when you are taping area's off.
HOK makes on I use called SG-100.. It runs 75 dollars a gallon off the net.
You cut it with urethane reducer for your temp... I have only used it for pearls, but I know you can use it for what I have mentioned.

Look here.... http://www.hokpaint.com/scripts/depot.e ... oButton=Go

and here..... http://www.hokpaint.com/man/SG100-33.html

Hope this helps... BTW if you have waited this long to repair then you will have to sand all of your base and re coat anyways. Most only go to a max of 24 hr for topcoat.

Matthew
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:38 pm
Matthew thax your post is very helpfull. i desided to sand the whole thing off and start over.luckily i bought a gallon of this paint!!!! and im gonna try this clear base coat, thanx :arrow: vic

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail