color sanding - tools?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:49 pm
Is the tool of choice a block or is there a nice air tool that will speed things up without cutting right through the paint?

could I use this for color sanding or is it best to just do it the manual method?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... umber=4196

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:28 am
If you order a special pad from Eastwood or just go to a paint store around you they had special pads that hook onto your DA and allow you to dry sand on paint, you have to buy special paper that will hook onto the pad and such it makes less of a mess than wet sanding but you still have the dust and the DA has to be adjustable RPM's. Talk to someone at a paint store by you about it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:31 am
We use that particular sander in our wood restoration shop only for shaping fillers. You really need to do what 68impala says and get with a local paint jobber. Look for a quality finish sander with a tight pattern from a company like Hutchins, National Detroit, or Dynabrade. The difference in those sanders compared to that one at Harbor Freight is like a butter knife compared to a surgeon's scapel. A good model will run, depending on sales, between $139 and $200. I just checked, we have one Dynabrade sander that is now 15 years old and has been rebuilt only one time.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:46 am
Do you wetsand or dry sand with the Dynabrade?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:40 pm
That particular Dynabrade is used in our wood restoration prep. sanding before an item goes in for stain, sealer, and finish. It's used with 80, 100, 120, and 180 grit 5 inch sticky back Mirka Gold paper. We also use it for dry leveling of our coatings (no different than the color sanding process) when needed with 320 grit blue diamond paper. We are a full production wood restoration and conservation shop so we really put sanding equipment through hell 6 to 8 hours every day.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:52 am
doubt it matters to you but I feel like posting a link today. They look like the one from HF

http://www.dynabrade.com
Learning How To Learn

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:56 am
see what I mean.

the Harbor Freight one

the dynabrade one
Learning How To Learn

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 am
my bad they dont look as much alike as I thought they did
Learning How To Learn

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:56 pm
I like the National Detroit and the AirVantage is nice. I also have a Hutchins 3500 not shown and it is an excellent ROS - you can lose the flat wrench and still get the pad off. The PGSS6 with 3/32" stroke is strictly for CLEAR COAT and finish film. If I could only have one then it would be the ND PGU6.

Example:

You can from time to time find good-great deals on EBAY if people do not run the price up to much.

Check out the INFO from 3M and if you have a fast connection then check out the 3M video library too:
http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/a ... ndex.jhtml

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail