color sanding basecoat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:17 pm
I have just completed tje primer coat on my vette and I am ready to do the basecoat. I have read a number of posts and it seems that there is some difference of opinion over whether the basecoat can be sanded prior to clear coat. In all instances it seems to be agreed that if you have a run it can be sanded, but most say that you then must re shoot the basecoat in the sanded area prior to applying the clear. I note that most if not all manufacturers say that the clear is to be applied over the basecoat without sanding the basecoat. There are however a couple of members who seem to be suggesting that it is preferred to wet sand the entire basecoat, without reapplying the base prior to applying the clear. I am not trying to stir up any s#*t or anything, but can someone please clarify this for me. It seems to me it would be preferable to wet sand the basecoat prior to applying the clear since it would guarnattee a defect free basecoat....Thanks for any help you can give this rookie!! :D
Daniel

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:55 pm
It is ok to sand out nibs and little spots in your base coat here and there. It is not ok to sand the base before clear... Flashed base coat has chemicals that react with clear for it to adhere to, when you sand the surface you release these chemicals and thus you could have a problem with adhesion down the road... Like I said a little spot here and there is one thing, a large area and you need to reapply the base... Dont let someone talk you into doing such ( sanding you base ) and you end up with allot of wasted money....

From a different point of view....... If it were the way to do bc/cc system every custom/hot rodder would be doing it to ensure a better looking paint job... Ask "True Pro's" and they will not have you sanding away your base!!

Matthew

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:57 pm
Do not sand basecoats with out reapplying more base is the normal procedure. Always read your paint manufacturers tech sheets. Sanding basecoat without reapplication will usually result in delamination, AKA peeling off in sheets. Also, any sanding of metallics-even nib sanding, will cause the metallic to look funny.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:36 am
how long can a base coat sit befor shooting a clear? Sorry if its a dumb question but does it have to be shot in the say 30 min flash time window or can you say wait 24 hours? Like if i was to do a two tone black white can i shoot my black let it harden mask then shoot my white then clear?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:34 pm
Most bc have a window of 24 hours before you must sand and recoat... I usually wait over an hour after my last coat of base to make sure it flashes, then apply my 1st coat of clear, wait another hour and apply the second and third coats.... Makes for a nice finish, with less problems with solvent etc...

Make sure your base has dried enough before you start taping... You could always use an intercoat such as SG-100 for your tape outs

http://www.hokpaint.com/man/SG100-33.html

Matthew
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:54 pm
With all due respect, READ YOUR PRODUCT SHEETS, you wont have to count on anyone's experience in telling you what you need to do.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:13 am
I just finished a Trans Am. I used the Rayflex color and Kirker's basecoat stabilizer system. It worked great. I applied stripes in a basecoat that was mixed at NAPA-Martin Senour. I then wet sanded the entire car and prepped with 600 grit paper. Next, I applied thw acrylic clear from rayflex. This clear only recommends being applied over surfaces sanded with 400 so I cheated a little. The bottom line is the job turned out great. It is almost show quality without any buffing/waxing. Again, I am a novice painter and do this work in my garage with only incoming air filtration and an adequate exhaust fan. Any comment on my products is welcomed.
kgta

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:41 am
hi guys,

is it really important to get your clear coat on once the last coat of base color has dried? say like i hour or so??

I painted a computer cast this week ofr a trial painting session.

I havent shot the clear yet and i finished the last color base coat 4 days ago. Is this bad? or can you apply the clear coat anytime after the clear coat has dries.

Or is it to late to apply the clear now?

cheers jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:07 am
Read the product sheets (P sheets) for your particular base/clear system. Most P sheets will say you have a 24 hour window for application of the clear. If you exceed that period you may have adheasion or delamination problems with your clear. If I'm shooting base I usually give it overnight to gas off and start my clear work the next morning but again this is what works for me and falls within my P sheet reccommendation from the PPG materials I use.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail