check my thinking

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:01 am
This may be pretty elementary, and if so I apologize. Soon, I am going to be finishing a car freshly painted with single stage acrylic laquer. I am a complete newbie, so I have been gleaning all the info I can from the various posts on this site. Also, I have a PC 7424 to use on this job. So please check my thoughts on how I think I need to go about this.
First I wet-sand the car by hand with 1500, then 2000 grit sand paper. Once the entire surface is flat and dull, I can use the PC with a rubbing compound and a wool bonnet. Then I use The PC with a polishing compound and a foam bonnet. After that I can apply a sealant/wax by hand.
Am I heading in the right direction with this?
Are there certain rubbing/polishing compounds that I need to look at?
Is there anything to do with single stage acrylic laquer that I am not taking into account?
I appreciate the helping hand.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:33 am
As far as I know you don't want to apply wax this early in the game. They say to wait a few months. The final product you can use though is a glaze, machine or hand.

birdman3r wrote:This may be pretty elementary, and if so I apologize. Soon, I am going to be finishing a car freshly painted with single stage acrylic laquer. I am a complete newbie, so I have been gleaning all the info I can from the various posts on this site. Also, I have a PC 7424 to use on this job. So please check my thoughts on how I think I need to go about this.
First I wet-sand the car by hand with 1500, then 2000 grit sand paper. Once the entire surface is flat and dull, I can use the PC with a rubbing compound and a wool bonnet. Then I use The PC with a polishing compound and a foam bonnet. After that I can apply a sealant/wax by hand.
Am I heading in the right direction with this?
Are there certain rubbing/polishing compounds that I need to look at?
Is there anything to do with single stage acrylic laquer that I am not taking into account?
I appreciate the helping hand.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:28 pm
Thanks, I was wondering about giving the paint time to cure. I have heard a lot of different opinions about it, but no one said it would hurt to wait. Maybe I will do that. Anyway, I found this link in another thread that's pretty handy. Maybe it will help more newbs like me.
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS98DLQLRZge/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

So it looks like I can dry sand with the machine. Is this recommended on single stage paint?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:43 pm
Yes that is a good place i used this one alot
http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/fenthusiast.jhtml

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:03 am
Hey, you have the machine I'm thinking of getting. If I had to choose only one machine for buffing it wouldn't be this one, it doesn't generate the heat of a rotary which some compounds depend on to be properly broken down. It's gentle and won't remove sand scratches like a rotary will. It's great for non-abrasive polishes, glaze, and gentle stuff. If you need to cut (wool + compound) it'll be slow going. Please post your results after you use it, I'm interested in learning more about it, most of what I said is stuff I've found out while investigating this product.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail