Making body lines

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:15 pm
I'm having trouble fixing a body line. Anyone have any tips? This is what i'm trying to do to my moldings...well..it's already done, but i'm fixing an area that got hit.

http://www.geocities.com/djiynk/carbodywork.html

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:02 pm
Don't have time to go through photos (sorry), but something that might help you when working with body lines is to tape it and sand to the tape, then tape the other side and sand up to it, then go over the edge to knock it down a bit so it's not so sharp. For serious curves like around a fender lip you can use fine line tape.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:30 pm
That is what I was going to suggest Aberrant... It is a sure fire way to work it out.. Make sure you are using a criss cross pattern if it is rounded, if it is a flat line, then the back and forth strokes will do... I tried to click on the pics and I had to be a member to see.... from what I could see the car has been painted already so I am not sure what bodyline you are wanting to fix.. Did you paint the car and then find things not right??
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:36 am
So just tape it up with masking tape? Here's a picture to describe what happened. I had some damage that messed up my shaved moldings and i'm trying to rebondo it.

[/img]

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:39 am
THANKS BY THE WAY! I appreciate it!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:29 pm
this is really hard for me to do..it's like a rolled line.. this is holding me back from painting..anyone have tips?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:39 pm
importh8r

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mix up some bondo and put it in a ziploc bag. Use alot of hardener so it kicks fast and press it up against a good section of the line you want to create. You might want to put some gloves on as it gets pretty hot. Once solid take it out and stick some paper to car on the same area, run the newly made block over the paper to tune it up a bit. Voila! A custom sanding block, stick some paper on it and git-r-done.

do this actually work?

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm
Yeah it works... Try it.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:55 pm
the bondo seems to stick to the ziplock back and melt it..so do i mix it and throw it into the bag? what about the wrinkles and stuff?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:17 am
Hehe. I think it's the styrene that will melt a lot of kinds of plastic. I heard about that idea a long time ago and never bothered, seems like a waste of time. Get yourself some flat sanding blocks, and probably a soft round one. You can go get a foam covering... **** I don't even know what they're used for... it's a foam tube that's split so it'll fit over a pipe or something. THat'll probably make a good block for what you're trying to do. Understand the theory... tape protects what's under it from being sanded, so you tape and sand over it, pull the tape you have a perfect body line. THere's lots written up here on sanding technique if you search, X pattern and all that... you'll have to practice and probably screw it up the first few times, I did.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail